Chapter Ten

"It's not as bad as you think it is Nexia, really." My dad tried to tell me as Luke closed the car door behind me as he went to get into the back seat. I gave my dad a look that immediately made him close his mouth and look away as my fingers glided across the green arm cast that I had on.

Dr. Reynolds had jumped right into the talk about cast and how to take care of them as soon as the x rays came back and I was regretting my decision on picking the green one wishing I had picked red or blue instead because the green one was making me feel sick. I pursed my lips as I reached for the seatbelt to buckle myself in as dad started the car and put it into reverse so he could get out of the parking spot. We had been here for a few hours and I was hungry, and tired, and in need of a long hot shower. It would be harder now thanks to the big bulky arm cast and hand cast I had on.

My arm was broke in two different places while I just had a fracture in my hand I think Dr. Reynolds had said.
"Nexia what hand do you write with?" Luke questioned quietly from his seat and dad slammed on his breaks and my mouth dropped open.

"Son of a bitch." I yelled my right hand -being my good one- bashed onto the dashboard; pain ran through me but I ignored it as dads laughter filled the car. I gave him a furious look not liking how he thought me being a crippled left handed girl was funny at all. Now how was I going to write? And why had I just now realized that my broken hand was the one I also wrote with. My anger was becoming to much and I wanted to start crying because I was so mad.

"Are you okay love?" Luke asked and I felt him shuffle towards me from his seat as his hand rested on my shoulder. I could feel his chest pressed against the cast as it dug into my side even more than it had before. I hissed moving away from him and rubbing the spot shaking my head, dad was still laughing and I used my good hand to hit him in the chest good thing I was ampadextris he made a small wheezing noise as his laughter cut off but he grinned towards me.

"This isn't funny dad." I barked at him angrily throwing myself back into my seat. I closed my eyes and let my hands rub onto the lids and the bridge of my nose.

"I know I'm sorry Nexia." Dad began in a calming voice. I put my hand down and turned towards him. Luke was still leaning forward in his seat and he was staring at me carefully as if I would have another panic attack. Dad was looking at me with a frown on his face, maybe I was over reacting but I wasn't having one of the best weeks especially with school just around the corner.

"How am I going to be able to write in class dad? I have about one week until school starts and I am going to fall behind." I questioned him and he pursed his lips as if in thought.

"I'll go to school with you" Luke spoke up and my eyes widened in horror.

"Absolutely not, never in a million years." I hissed putting my hands up for emphasis.

"Nexia, it isn't such a bad idea." My dad tried to coax me but I shook my head, and glared their way. We hadn't moved from where dad had stomped on the break but dad was beginning to drive again acting as casual as he usually was even with a robot in the car.

"I am not having some mechanical tin can study at the same school as me, especially as he is a robot that could have an electrical malfunction and kill everyone including me." I spat, Luke looked offended.

"I would never kill you." He told me softly and I held up my broken arm to remind him that he had also made a promise not to hurt me and that clearly happened. He sat back in his seat and looked out the window with a sullen expression.

"I'll take him to the lab with me tomorrow and make sure that won't be possible. I'll take him there two times every week and make sure he is being tested and that he won't have any malfunctions." Dad begged me. "He wouldn't have any though because he's perfect."