Chapter Eighteen

I looked at Luke as he walked through the door briskily, I knew he wasn't what I wanted to devote my entire life to but he was better than nothing at all. In a way I had given up a simple human relationship with my best friend for him and that meant a lot considering I didn't even want to be with a mechanical creation.

He gave me a heart wrenching smile as he spotted me leaning against the kitchen counter where not even an hour ago Aaron had been confessing his love to me with so much undeniable pain. I felt like I was apart of one of my favourite books where the girl was stuck between being with what she knew was right, and what she wasn't sure of. I didn't think things like this happened especially to a small town girl such as myself.

He raced towards me arms extended as he wrapped me up in a tight hug. We were better in ways after our talk we had, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. There could be nothing between us because that was dangerous, I was already getting in danger having this much to do with him.

'I've missed you." He told me as if I hadn't already known that. He was like a broken clock if he was away from me for over thirty minutes he would say that. That was pretty much the first three words out of his mouth usually it seems like.

My dads clomp of his boots brought me back to my surroundings as I stepped on my tip toes and pulled Luke down so I could see over his massive shoulder. Dad was just coming through the door with a big box with him. I eyed it curiously as I moved from Lukes arms to help him. I held my hand out offering assistance and he shook his head.

"I'm good sweetheart it doesn't weigh that much." He told me and I nodded looking at it. Dad set it on the counter as Lukes arms made their way around my waist, trapping my stomach, as I felt his chest collide with my back.

"What is it?" I asked trying to get the reminder that earlier today Aaron had put me into almost the exact same position.

"It's something for Luke. He wants to be more of a human and that means there are things that I have to get ready for him." Dad replied and I cocked my head to the side at that wondering what it could even be that would make him be more of something that he was not.

"I'll be right back babe." Luke whispered to me and kissed my cheek and took off towards the stairs.

I waited until I was sure that Luke wouldn't be able to hear.

"Dad who is the person Luke was cloned from?" I asked breaking the silence and a layer of tension filled the air instantly as he looked up at me, I guess he wasn't expecting this.

"Nexia not now." He begged me and I wasn't going to give him the satisfaction that he wanted.

"Who was it?" I pestered and he sighed shaking his head. "Dad I'm not going to give up until I find out who it is. I deserve to know. It's not like I'm going to marry this robotic clone. And the more you try to force this thing between us the more strained it will become."

He looked slightly flustered as he bent down to unlace his boots and kick them off. He didn't answer at first to busy trying to come up with a good enough excuse. I could tell by the way his eyebrows furrowed and he seemed to rack his brain for ideas. It was easy to tell his train of thought it was like the inside of a book you could read it in his expression. He always tried to act sneaky but it was no use with a con artist in the house.

"You can't hide this information from me forever dad." I reminded him as I heard loud footsteps on the stairs and I knew I would keep pestering him until I got to the bottom of this or I would find any other way to get that information even if it meant going to his lab.

"Nexia, Nexia." Luke called loudly as he ran towards me and I poked my head over the side of the door frame to see him. He had a huge grin plastered on his face and something in his hands. I could only see that it was wooden, it wasn't my book case because it was to big so it had to be something else entirely.