Chapter Three

Chapter Three

I was gasping for air as I made my way back into the house brushing my long hair out of my face along with the small sweat that was beaded on my forehead. I licked my lips as I opened the screen door and started to run in but then my body was slammed against something hard like a brick wall knocking what little breath I had out of me as arms constricted around my waist picking my up slightly.

I didn’t move because I was in a state of shock as I realized it was the robot, he snuggled his head into the crook of my neck.  His cool metallic lip ring tickling the base of my neck as he moved his face around slightly. He set me down than very softly and looked me over trying to see if anything was wrong with me as I stood there emotionless.

“Where were you? I was worried.” He went to put his hand up to my face, and I moved away from him letting out a small humorless cackle as I brushed past him rudely and going into the house. A robot couldn’t be worried, that was the chip that was more than likely placed inside of him making him think he was.

 Following the smell of eggs and toast I made it to the kitchen to see dad cooking some very edible looking food. Dad was more of a scientist than a cooker, and I wasn’t one to cook so most of the time we usually ordered take out, but one thing he did know how to make was eggs and toast. 

Dad gave me a warm welcoming smile as he moved the spatula through the scrambled eggs that looked good. He turned back to his work and I moved over to the kitchen island and moved some stuff over to sit in my normal spot on the counter. Dad went to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of water and handed it to me, I thanked him unscrewing the cap and chugging down more than half. 

“So did that run give you time to think?” He asked curiously, andI shrugged knowing he couldn’t see the action with his back turned.

“In someways.” I answered briskily, hoping he understood that I didn’t mean about the piece of metal. “If I accidentally spilled my water on that robot would he malfunction?” 

My dad gave me a warning look as I smiled innocently towards him blinking.

“All my hard work might go to ruin.” He told me and I sighed eyeing the bottle ever so carefully wondering how long dad would ignore me for if I did spill water on it. 

“He really isn’t that bad Nexia.” My dad stated as if that would lighten my hatred towards the thing already.

“He watched me sleep like a creep dad. Don’t even start.”  I slammed the bottle on the counter. The remaining water sloushing dangerously close to spilling out as I put the cap back on. Jumping off the counter and into a proper standing position to make myself look taller I turned around to spot the robot named Luke standing in the doorframe watching me timidly as he clasped his hands infront of his body. 

I didn’t give him a second glance as I moved past him and to the front room to drown out my anger in stupid television sitcoms that I rarely ever watched unless it was when I was bored. I laid down on the couch retriving the remote from inbetween the couch cushions and turning it on.

“Why does she hate me, am I not perfect enough for her?” The robot asked in a pained voice making me roll my eyes. 

“She doesn’t hate you, she just doesn’t know what to think of you. You are her kind of perfect.” My dad answered and I made an unhuman noise. I already knew what to think of it, metal and fire doesn’t make a very good combination.

“All I get off of her is hostility.” He responded with a soft sigh. There was a few clanging of pots and pans, maybe a few of his metal rods and what not shifting together. 

The sound of the toaster popping was just barely audible and I couldn’t hear anything else for a few minutes. The smell of eggs and toast and coffee started wafting into my nose more and I looked up expecting to see dad but instead was that robot that I forgot the name of, I knew it started with an L, Lucifer? 

I looked down to see he had a tray in his hands and food and two cups were on top of it. He walked over to me slowly yet with purpose as he set the food on the coffee table infront of me. There were two pieces of toast with eggs and cheese and syrup in the middle of it, and syrup slathered on top of it messily just the way I liked it. There was a glass of orange juice, and a mug of coffee that smelled delectable. Then a piece of paper on it that was folded over. 

My curiousity got the best of me as I snatched it up and opened it to see the perfect styled lettering that was to neat to be my fathers.

Will you go on a date with me?

-Luke 

I looked at the words a few more times checking to make sure I got the words correct and that he was intentionally asking me out on a date. I snorted shaking my head and crumpling the paper up in my hands and setting it back down feeling its eyes on me as I reached for the coffee and take a sip. 

Standing up I made my way past the robot who stood there not knowing what to do while I went back to the kitchen and over to dad who was cleaning the stove top with a washcloth.

 “I don’t know why you are doing this to me.” I hissed angrily at him, he scrubbed the stove top harder as he pretended to be innocent.

“I don’t know what you are talking about.” 

“Don’t play games with me old man.” I squinted at him cocking my head to the side.

“Now I’m old?” He asked changing the conversation feigning hurt, I rolled my eyes at his horrible acting as he pretended to get stabbed in the heart and fake his death. Dad and I were alike on that level, we both were children at heart, but in serious situations I was sometimes more of the adult like in this one.

“Have a sense of humor darling.” My dad said after a minute once he looked at my unhappy face, he shook his head grabbing a mug and taking a sip of it. 

“Humorless is my middle name.” I sneered making him laugh. 

“Your middle name isn’t humorless.” The robot called coming into the room, I turned to see his eyebrows were knitted on his forehead and he seemed to be racking his head to make sure. He didn’t look like a robot that was for sure, he looked just like a twenty year old man give or take a few years, with nothing robotic about him, maybe his cheekbones which looked like they could cut a wedding cake perfectly had a bit of a strange look to them, but most very good looking athletic guys who had prominent cheekbones had what looked to be the same feature and it wasn’t such a bad thing. 

I couldn’t believe my dad made an idiotic robot that didn’t seem to take the hint that I didn’t like him nor would I want to talk to him. I looked back at my dad with a begging look and he shook his head no already knowing what I wanted to ask him, I frowned angrily crossing my arms. Of course he wouldn’t like the idea and he wouldn’t want his ‘perfect’ robot destroyed. It wasn’t that I was jealous of it either, I just didn’t like the robot one bit. 

It was sick making something like another human and giving it to someone like a present. It wasn’t a present it was a menace, something that shouldn’t have been thought of, or created. A creation that had been as a use for a fifteen year old that was the worst part. 

“No her middle name is Rose, it’s an expression.” Dad explained and I couldn’t help but look away from the scene in front of me with disgust. My dad stood up and went over carefully to the robot as if it would attack or get scared and slung his arm over the robots shoulder as if in a nice gesture.

He was treating it like it actually belonged, like it was human, that was the worst part, it wasn’t human and it would never be. 

“Oh I understand.” He said as if he really did.

“Sure you do Lucifer, a pile of metal like you understanding an expression.” I scoffed irritated.

“Words hurt Nexia.” My dad reminded me, I brushed my hair out of my face.

“Only if you’re human.”