One on One - 3

You could practically feel Belle's glare at the back of your neck as you nodded and proceeded to follow behind Zero and Ohgi towards the door to another room. Your heart rate increased, nervous of what was going to happen next. It all felt surreal. 

You stared at Zero's back, you could feel a million emotions that surrounded him. It was almost suffocating, but it only made you wonder who it really was behind that mask. Would you ever be able to know? You shook your head, stopping your own thoughts. That kind of thinking was considered taboo amongst the Black Knights.

"Soldier, I have a few questions to ask you about your skill set."

Zero's chilling, automated voice rang out breaking you from your trance. 

Zero opened the door to one of the meeting rooms, motioning for you to follow but putting a hand out towards Ohgi, signifying that he didn't want him to accompany the two of  you. Ohgi stood outside the door, a look of puzzlement admist his face.

"Yes of course... I'll answer any questions you have." You said, glancing at Ohgi before following him into the room. The automatic doors whooshed closed behind you, leaving you completely alone in a room with Zero. 

"Please, have a seat." Zero motioned to the couch across from him before sitting down himself. You walked over, sitting down and making sure to keep your back straight. 

"Now, first... tell me, why is it you joined the Black Knights?"

Zero leaned his arm on the armrest of the couch across from you, placing his gloved hand on his mask for support.

The simple act sent a chill down your spine. It was pathetic and childish, but seeing him appear so relaxed around you...

"Well... since you made your appearance, I looked into everything and it intrigued me because I grew up under not so great circumstances, and I want to make sure no one ever has to go through that again." You said, looking away from Zero, and leaving out the part where you slowly idolized him.

"Hm... and you believe that you are capable of achieving this personal endeavour through the Black Knight's goals?" Zero said, leaning off of his hand and sitting up straight.

"Yes I do sir.." You nodded, looking back at him as he spoke to you, subconsciously adjusting your own posture at the notice of him sitting up straight.

"Good. Then I have one other question... You're good at reading people, what does that mean specifically?" He said.

You moved slightly in your seat. "Well... I just mean on a personal level, once I exchange a few sentences with someone, or by engaging in physical contact like a handshake or hug... I can understand their intentions and a bit of their personality as well."

Zero let out a slight huff, slightly humored. Behind the mask, Lelouch was intrigued and his face showed a slight grin. "So, can you give me a demonstration? This skill could be very useful in a mission we are currently planning." 

You raised your eyebrow, looking directly at where Zero's eyes would be behind the mask. "I can, but on who?" As soon as the words left your mouth you knew.

Zero leaned forward slightly, leaning his elbows/arms on his knees. "I caught you earlier, and you've now spoken more than just a few sentences to me at this point... so?"

Your face flushed, embarassed from the sudden confrontation. "Well... I wasn't thinking straight in that moment... I couldn't say." You shook your head, it was different with Zero since you liked him. It was harder for you to read a person when other feelings clouded your judgement.

Zero stood up, walking over to the couch you sat on, taking a seat right next to you. "That makes sense. So then, show me now." He reached out his gloved hand towards you, grabbing your hand that rested on your thigh. 

You felt a tingling sensation flutter from your hand, through your arm and into your stomach.

You took a deep breath, knowing Zero wasn't responsible for your immature crush, letting out a small sigh as you tried to focus. This was your chance to prove your worth to him, and you weren't about to let your feelings mess this up for you, even with Zero so close. 

You looked at Zero's mask, then down towards his hand, then cleared your throat. You felt a wave of indescribable sadness hit you, but that feeling soon turned to pain. An event he had gone through in his childhood hurt him... it reminded you of yourself.

"Please, tell me what you're thinking." Zero's voice called out, snapping you back into the moment. He still held onto your hand.

"You're motivated by personal goals too... I dont know what, but I know you have this sadness to you... something cause by your past, most likely in childhood." You said softly. 

Zero didn't reply, in fact you could tell that he visibily tensed up at your words. "Of course, that's just a guess I truly dont-"

The doors to the room whooshed open, cutting you off mid sentence, Ohgi stood in the doorway. "Sorry for interrupting..." He paused, glancing at you, then at Zero's hand that still held onto yours. "But we need your prescence Zero, but I can tell them if you're..."

Zero shook his head, letting go of your hand and standing up, to which you did the same. 

"We were just wrapping up here. Please direct L/n back to their post, I'll meet you in the main wing Ohgi." 

Zero whooshed past you, and out of the door. You let out a sigh you didn't know you had in you. "That was crazy..." You mumbled to yourself. Ohgi raised his eyebrow slightly at your remark, motioning for you to follow him. You could tell that he wanted to ask what had happened, but remained silent as he guided you back to your division. 

~~~~