The Gift - 16

// We're back! Thank you so much to those who have commented and sent messages, it helped me become motivated once again! Enjoy, and thank you for helping this story achieve such great rankings! \\

There was a certain feeling in the air, like someone was holding your throat, the feeling of being so close to zero echoing on your skin. You looked down as Zero conversed with Ohgi and the others, unaware that Kallen was staring at the black glove you held in your hands. 

The thought of returning the glove hadn't crossed your mind yet, still enveloped in what happened just moments ago. You rubbed your fingers against the glove, noting the slight wear which made you realize just how much work he put in as the black knight's leader. 

"That's Zero's right? You should probably give it back." Kallen said as she approached you, her voice low so she wouldn't disturb the conversation happening between Zero and Ohgi over the results of the fight. Your eyes darted up, snapping out of your lustful thoughts. "Oh yeah, you're right-" You said pausing mid sentence.

Kallen reached for the glove, "Here, I'll give it back to him, you should probably go let everyone know we'll be packing up and leaving the school." 

Right as Kallen touched the glove, you pulled back almost defensively. Your face flushed. "Wait!.. sorry... I want to give it back to him myself, plus there's something I have to tell him." You said, bowing your head and quickly turning to walk over to Zero. 

...

...

Lelouch grinned underneath his mask as he focused on eavesdropping your nearby conversation, totally tuning out what Ohgi had been saying. "Sir-" Ohgi said, noticing that Zero's mind was elsewhere. "We'll wrap this all up tomorrow, you must have something on your mind... or rather someone." Ohgi said, glancing over Zero's shoulder glancing at you as you walked this way.

As you took a step to walk towards zero, his back still turned as he talked to Ohgi, you heard Kallen call out in a hushed mumble. "You know, me and Zero are close too." Your eyebrows raised and you turned around quickly to look at Kallen, now walking backwards. "Wha-" you managed to say before you stumbled into someone. 

"I apologize, tomorrow would work better, thank you for your work Ohgi." Zero said, handing the files back to him as he quickly turned to walk towards you, effectively slamming into the back of you as you both took steps into each other. Zero reached out, grabbing your sides so you wouldn't stumble to the ground.  "Im so sorry-" you said, turning to face Zero as you clutched the glove in your hands. He let his hands slide off of your waist, so slowly you could've sworn he wanted bystanders to take note of how close the two of you were becoming. 

You shook your head to banish the thoughts from your mind. You looked at Zero's bare hand, grabbing it with your own as you softly pushed up his sleeve. "I meant to give this back to you-" You said as you took the glove gently taking Zero's fingers with your own and sliding the glove on. Before you pushed it on the rest of the way you took note of how soft his skin was compared to how rough the material of the glove was. 

Zero cleared his throat, to which you quickly slid the glove on all the way, looking up at him. You knew it was irresponsible to be so touchy in front of an audience, but Kallen's words had lit a fire in you. "Thank you, y/n." He said, his modulated voice echoing in your ears so softly. 

"I should probably get going so my classmates don't report me missing when the rest of the black knight's leave Ashford." You said, looking at the ground as you twiddled your fingers. You wanted him to beg you to not leave. 

"Before you go, come with me." He said as he walked with you towards the knightmare you had both shared such an intimate moment in. He stopped when you were both just out of sight of the others. "Is there something you need me to d-" You began to say as you both stood in awkward silence for a moment, before Zero wrapped his arms around you tightly, pulling you against him as close as possible as he hugged you, leaning the bottom of his chin resting his head on top of your head, careful so he wouldn't hurt you with the sharp edge of his helmet. 

Your eyes widened as you hesitantly wrapped your arms around his slim torso, underneath his cape. "You're the only person I'd hug like this." He said softly. Unknown to you, he had heard Kallen's remark and knew the thoughts you probably were thinking. He wanted you to know that you were his... but how could he say such a thing... and what would it truly mean?

You felt your cheeks heat up as you heard his words, its almost like he knew what you needed to hear in that moment. You felt one of his hands that held you slide down as he slipped something into the pocket in your uniform's pocket...... the back one on your skirt. You gasped as he removed his hand and pulled away. "L/n, please take a few days leave from your black knight duties, we don't want the school to get suspicious." He said before turning to walk back towards the others. Your heart sank, but you knew that was necessary. "I'll be thinking about you till then-" You blurted out, placing a hand over your mouth, you were worried you had been taking his advances the wrong way, or even taking things too quickly because of your own emotions. 

"me too." Zero muttered, probably assuming you couldn't hear him as he showed no other acknowledgement of what you said as he continued walking away. You turned, walking away quickly to shake off the feeling building inside your heart.

That feeling...

It was something more than lust, something that no kiss or physical intimacy could bring...

An ache;

the feeling of falling deeply in love.

...

...

You quickly got out of your uniform inside the control room that had been set up inside of ashford, changing into your old school clothes as you neatly folded the uniform and placed it near Zero's set up. As you did, your mind immediately remembered the item Zero had slid into your pocket. As if on queue, it fell out of your neatly folded uniform and rolled onto the ground. 

A ring. Your face flushed as you kneeled down to pick it up off of the floor. You looked at it closely, noticing a sliding mechanism. At first, it was a standard silver ring, with no added detail, but when you slid it counter clockwise a design appeared, it was the symbol of the black knights engraved onto the solid silver ring. 

You wondered if it had been an accident as you played with it in between your fingers before you paused, attempting to slide it on your left ring finger. 

It didn't fit. You frowned, sliding it off and trying your right hand's "ring finger." Somehow, it fit perfectly. You blushed, 

"it wouldn't be so bad if I kept it on until I see him again..." You mumbled to yourself as you headed back to your classroom.