Chapter One

"We got her,"

"We got her,"

I looked up from my computer screen at my brother, Callahan. His brown eyes stared at mine; relief evident in them. "We got her," he repeated. "She's two towns over, a house on the northside,"

I tapped my fingertips against the desk. "Good, we'll move at sundown," I said. Cal nodded and closed my office door. I sat up in my chair and ran a hand through my hair. Ever since she disappeared, even before I found out what she did, I had Cal and Johnny working to find her.

I opened my desk drawer and picked up my favorite knife, the one I made my first kill with. I twirled it, pricked my finger on the blade lightly, and placed it on my desk.

I once told her no one has ever escaped me when she asked about what I did as a job. It applies to her too. Maybe she knew she'd be found one day or maybe she really thought she could get away. Either way, I get my revenge tonight.

I gave her everything, tried for her, and what did I get in return? A stab to the back. Literally. I scowled. I guess father was right. Love was really just a useless tactic people used to make you blind to one's true colors.

Silently, I made a vow to never make the same mistake twice.

At sundown, I placed my gun in my pocket and locked up my office. "Move out," I shouted. Cal, Wes, and Johnny, plus a few other men for backup piled out of the house and into separate black vans. I slid into the driver's seat of my car and sped off. It was night so I didn't have to worry about having to kill pesky cops.

"Are you sure about this?" Cal asked me.

I only spared him a glance before I answered him, "I am,"

I said nothing after that and neither did he. The drive was silent until I parked a block away. I closed the car door silently and glared at the cream house she lived in. Bland. Just like her. I probably should've taken that as a sign.

I stalked closer and picked the lock, pushing the door open. It was dark which was a good sign that no one was home, but I'd still check the house anyways.

"Check the whole house," I whispered over my shoulder.

I went upstairs while the others checked downstairs. I went straight for the master bedroom. I twisted the doorknob and pushed the door open, empty. "Fuck," I cursed softly.

She wasn't here.

"She's not here, boss," Wes said what I already knew.

"I know," I answered and closed the door again.

"What do you want to do?" Cal asked.

I looked around until I noticed a door at the end of the hallway. Light spilled out from the bottom of the door. "Whose room is that?" I nudged my head towards it.

Cal shrugged. "As far as I found, she lives alone,"

I drew my gun and slowly walked to the other end of the hall. I squinted and went to pick the lock, but the door was open, only a smidge. I gently pushed it wider and felt my heart drop to my ass.