Chapter Fourteen

(TW: Kidnapping)

(TW: Kidnapping)

I exhaled shakily. Today was the day he instructed me to kidnap and murder Rowan. I had to search for a long time but I finally found them. I was just lucky to have caught them just in time to see them heading into the woods just north of the Harris mansion.

Going so close to the Harris mansion is risky, but it looked like all of the men I should be fearful of catching me were away, now I only had to get past Odessa and that itself was its own challenge.

I had denied any request for one or two of his men to come with me since they'd actually be willing to kill him but I knew that if they had come along, my plan to keep Rowan safe would go to shit so I reassured him that I could do it on my own.

"Oh come on, Dessa, you're so good at it," I heard from the partly open window as I creeped closer to the cabin.

"I know but I don't like it," she said. "Can I start over?"

He heard Rowan's soft laugh and then, "Yeah,"

I stood to my full height and peered into the crack. I saw Odessa sitting on a stool with a canvas on an easel and Rowan on her left side with the same thing.

"I have to use the bathroom first and wash my hands, hold on," she stood up and untied her apron, she kept her hands away from Rowan's face as she kissed him. He smiled and brought her back after she pulled away. After he sat down, Odessa disappeared down the hallway. I blew out. Let's hope this worked. I carefully lifted the window and quietly locked it, climbing in.

The rag I held burned my skin. I quickly made it over to Rowan and put it over his face. My arm encircled Rowan's middle, trapping him against me. He winced as Rowan struggled, hoping Odessa wouldn't come back and slice my head off.

Eventually, Rowan's movements came to a halt and I heaved the boy up, closed the window then exited out of the front door and made a run for it towards the car I had parked. I laid him down in the backseat and got into the driver's seat, glancing at the path that led to the cabin one more time before driving off.

I prayed hard that my plan worked because if it didn't, it would be the end of me.