Chapter Twenty-One

"Hey, lover man, what can I get you?" Adalia teased me the second I entered the little bakery

"Hey, lover man, what can I get you?" Adalia teased me the second I entered the little bakery. I glowered at her. "Don't call me that,"

"Oh, I'm sorry, would you prefer lover boy?" she smiled teasingly. Instead of scowling like I would usually do, I cracked a small smile but quickly wiped it away before she could see. "Cupcakes, regular amount,"

"Yes, sir," she said and opened the display and fuck, that shouldn't effect me like it did. The sweet and sultry purr of her voice as she said 'sir' rushed right down to where I didn't want it to. "And Iris has a new recipe and since your friend, Rhys, hasn't come in the last few weeks, here," she slid over a large cupcake that was slightly yellow with multicolor swirls.

I grimaced. "Do I have to try that?"

"Yes," she picked it up off the napkin and waved it slowly in front of my face. At least she wasn't smashing it in my face and I had to admit, it smelled good but smell and taste were two different things. Hesitantly, I took a bite, chewing slowly.

"So...." Her eyes were hopeful as she waited for my response and like Rhys, I despised sweet things but I imagined the sparkle being snuffed out and replaced with a dull look if I said that so I swallowed. "It's good, I like it," I forced out but it was worth it when her smile genuinely turned into a grin and she clapped her hands while fucking bouncing on her toes.

Fuck, she was cute when she was happy.

I flinched lightly. Oh, what the fuck. "I guess," I added on but that didn't change anything, she kept on grinning and my chest kept on feeling ripples of warmth. "I'll tell Iris this one was a success,"

I  grabbed the box of cupcakes and turned to walk to the door. "Christian," she called my name halfway there.

Keep walking, Christian, don't turn around.

I turned and raised an eyebrow. Her smile turned back to teasing. "Have you fallen in love yet?"

I couldn't grimace, I couldn't glower, hell, I couldn't even scowl. I could only take a small breath and head out the door because I knew if I looked at her any longer, she would know and mistake his being merciful for falling in love because that's what happened, I showed her mercy and didn't shit on her mood.

It wasn't because I wanted to see her smile. It wasn't. Getting into my car, I set the box aside and stared at it. "Two more months," I muttered to myself. Two more months until she owes me anything I want from the bakery.

It would be easy.

It wasn't fucking easy, who was I kidding? Because two weeks later, here I was, standing outside of the bakery, when Odessa nor my crackhead family asked for cupcakes. I walked in and frowned when I didn't see her at the counter. "Where's Adalia?" I asked the woman behind the counter, who I was pretty sure was the woman Rhys was seeing.

"She's not here today,"

"Why not?"

The woman, whatever her name was, smirked at me. "Why do you care? Aren't you the one who's always picking fights with her? Surely, you'd be relieved she isn't here,"