Chapter Twelve

"Dessa," Rhys entered my room

"Dessa," Rhys entered my room. "Hey,"

"Hello," I greeted him, flipping the page of my book. "What can I do for you, Uncle Rhys?"

"Assignment, two guys we've been looking for planted a bomb at a carnival, we need to find them and the bomb before it goes off,"

I hopped off my bed and froze halfway to my closet. The last time I went to a carnival.....

"Just wear something casual, I'm sure you'll want to play something while we're there,"

I nodded, finally stepping into my closet. Maybe this time it wouldn't end in someone trying to kill me and eyes filled with disappointment.

"Alright, keep your eyes open for anything that even remotely looks like a bomb," Christian said as they pulled into the parking lot.

When we pulled up to the carnival, I already felt the excitement in me threatening to bubble over. I see why people liked them so much.

"Dessa,"

"What?"

"Did you hear what I said?"

"Keep your eyes open for something that looks like a bomb," I waved my hand dismissively, getting out of the car. We slipped inside and spread out. I went left, the guys went right. I found it odd how all five of them went in one direction instead of separating but hey, who was I to question it?

"I don't see them or the bomb yet," dad muttered in the comm.

I sauntered off, looking around. "Odessa, you see anything?"

"No," I answered, peering up on my toes to see over a crowd. It was a throwing game. I played one of these with Rowan at the carnival we went to. He even won be a little teddy bear that I keep on my nightstand.

"Congrats, three out of three, pick a prize, any prize," the old man behind the booth gestured to the many large and small bears. The girl picked one of the larger bears, she swung it over her shoulder and walked off as the next person stepped up and paid the man.

I left that crowd and went to another. It was another ball game. People surrounded a man bouncing a hard ball with black lines before he threw it and it made it into the net. The crowd cheered. I clapped silently, still not fully understanding but finding it entertaining. This game hadn't been at the carnival I went to.

Moving from crowd to crowd, I watched people play different games. Standing behind a tall man, I peeked from the side, watching someone knock down fake clown statues. I watched happily, my eyes going from the player to the clowns until I froze at the top.

"Oh shit," I whispered. The top clown, which was worth forty points, had a small blinking red dot on its nose.

The bomb.

I looked at the person behind the booth. He was dressed as a clown but when I moved closer, on the back of his neck was a snake tattoo.

"Dad, where are you guys?" I backed away and spoke quietly into the comm.