Chapter Nineteen

I felt it

I felt it. It happened. The ending was here. I was drinking my evening coffee and being annoyed by Adrien when dread filled me. She was taken just as I suspected she would be. I poured the rest of my coffee into the sink and rubbed my temples.

"The fuck is wrong with you?" Adrian's eyebrows creased. "You never throw away coffee,"

"Lost my appetite," I say, putting my book back on the shelf. When I turn, Adrian is right in front of me. "Why are you so close?"

"Why are you lying?" he tilts his head, assessing me. "Are you sick or some shit? Did you need that chicken shit soup that cures illnesses?"

"I'm not sick, you dipshit,"

"Then what is it?" his eyes narrowed. "We both know I'm going to annoy it out of you, does it have something to do with that girl?"

My chest tightens and it must show on my face because he blinks. "Did something happen?"

I grit my teeth. I never told Adrian about the plan I had because then he'd want to interfere and when Adrien interfered, it ended in unnecessary bloodshed. But, in getting her back, Adrian and his excitement to kill someone might come in handy.

"Someone took her," I muttered.

"Is she that weak?"

"She knew it was coming," I said.

He crosses his arms and glares. "You know I hate when you do that here's a little piece of information to leave you confused bullshit, tell me straight,"

"I've been giving her clues to lead her to Hughes. Harris's mother's murder, the reason behind her, the coverup, the mother's letter, the hidden son, everything, but the rest is in his house, and it all connects back to her,"

"And why couldn't you just do all that? Why give it all to her?"

"Because if it all connects back to her, then she should be the one to find it,"

"Wait a fucking minute, you had all this planned and didn't tell me shit?"

I arch an eyebrow at him. "Your thirst for blood would've ruined it,"

"Fuck you," he turns away defiantly, but then glances at me and purses his lips. "Can I at least come with you on the rescue mission?"

"Fine. Only because she doesn't know the blueprint of the house and I'd need to focus on getting her out,"

He grins. "Consider you focused. I'll take out every fucker in that house," Adrien walks off, saying something about polishing his good knives.

The wait was slowly chipping away at my sanity. To fill the time, I tied my scarf around my neck and traveled to the Harris mansion. Where as he suspected, his brothers and their men were going fucking ballistic.

"Where the fuck is she?" Christian gripped the counter ledge until his knuckles turned white. One of the guards opened their mouth to speak but a gunshot pierced the air before they could. I watched the body fall on its side and stare at the carpet blankly as blood pooled. Alex's gun lowered and my eyebrows raised at the deafening silence.