Chapter Twenty Five

TW: in detail torture and mentions of rape

I carefully slip out from under Rowan, pausing when he shifts. "Where are you going?" he asks, curling his hand around the back of my shirt. "Don't go,"

I lean over and kiss his cheek. "Early morning assignment," I lie, grimacing. I hated lying to him, but I promised Adrian I wouldn't tell anyone where he was. "I'll be back in a few,"

"I miss you already," he yawns, grabbing my pillow and cuddling with it. He falls back asleep, and I let out a sigh, darting into my bathroom. I know I told Adrian to call me or else I'd show up in California, but I did not mean call me at the ass crack of dawn and tell me he needs my help with something, but was I going anyway? Yes, yes I was.

I showered and put on comfortable clothes. Rowan was still asleep when I left the bathroom, so I snuck to my closet and stuffed a small duffel bag with a change of clothes, just in case, and a few knives. Leaving my room, I quietly close my door and go downstairs. I open my phone and shoot a text to my most recent contact, then freeze when I saw someone's back sitting at the counter in the kitchen.

Judging by the tattoos, it was Dad. "What are you doing up so early?" he asked, looking at me over his shoulder.

"How'd you know I was here?"

"You're my daughter, plus you being kidnapped has made me hyper aware of where you are," he says, then his eyes drop to my duffel bag. "Where are you going? Rowan is here,"

"Early morning assignment,"

His eyes narrow. "Really?"

"Yup,"

"By yourself?"

"Yes,"

"What's the assignment?"

"Missing person who needs to be found,"

"Who?"

"Classified,"

"Classified?" he repeats. "Why is it classified?"

I shrug. "It just is,"

"Is it one of Hannah's business partners?"

"We got rid of all of them, so no,"

Dad stands, walking over to me. He leans down until we're face to face. "Odessa,"

"Dad," I smile. "I think the real question is, what are you doing up this early? And just sitting in the kitchen?"

"Don't deflect,"

"Same for you,"

"Insomnia, what's your excuse?"

"The sudden urge to go on a solo trip,"

He arches his eyebrow at me. "A solo trip."

"Yes,"