Chapter Eight

I watched my new friend talk a mile a minute about the books I have

I watched my new friend talk a mile a minute about the books I have. The ones she's read, the ones she hasn't, and the ones she doesn't have at all. She tells me about her three brothers, King, Rev, and Darius. About her mom. And her dad. I stay silent during that one as she speaks about him. She does so like he's the second coming of God but I guess that's what happens when he's not a curious fucker to you.

"I'm talking a lot, aren't I? Sorry, do you want to tell me about you?"

I shrug. "Not much to tell,"

"That's ok! Dad doesn't like to talk about himself either," Lilah said, skimming through the pile of books she labeled: never read. "Have you met him yet?"

"Yes, when he interrogated me in the kitchen,"

She looks up at me with a crease in her eyebrows. "What do you mean?"

"I met him earlier this year at a meeting I went to with my dad and his people, he said he was curious,"

"Yeah, dad tends to get a little pushy when he's 'curious'. It's happened more than once with King and his whereabouts,"

"And his whereabouts?"

She sets down the book and turns her body to me. "Sometimes, Ki will disappear for hours at a time and come home like nothing happened. Mom eventually gave up on trying to get it out of him but everytime he comes home, dad's always questioning him like he's a criminal in a police station. He doesn't like any of us being out after dark, he says it's when enemies decided to be a stupid fucker and attack us,"

The bucket of sunshine curses. Who would've thought.

"Is he always protective?"

"Very." Lilah said, picking up another book. "It got more intense as we grew up, specifically for me. I can't go anywhere without having two guards tailing me the whole way. The guys get away since they've been fully trained and they're boys," she rolls her eyes. "Natural born protectors and all that,"

"You're not being trained?"

"Oh, I am, and I'm almost done but dad isn't showing any signs of letting up on guards," she huffs. "I hate it. I love him but I want to be able to go somewhere without guards, they report everything I do to him so I can't even cause any mischief without him finding out about it," she frowns.

"What if I could get you an outing without guards?"

She perks up. "Could you really? What about your dad? He doesn't have guards trailing you?"

"I barely go anywhere without them, but I could always use the 'I won't let a man control me' argument, it works against them everytime," I snicker.

"Really?"

"Really?"

She bounces, her eyes lighting up in a damn firework in the sky. "You want to hug me, don't you?"