Chapter Eighteen

I used the little time I had while the others were packing the RV to sneak up to the third floor

I used the little time I had while the others were packing the RV to sneak up to the third floor. Reaching the floor, I was glad he hid whatever the clue was on the floor with the least rooms. I pursed my lips and quickly started to look. Searching through each room, I found nothing until I came across two wooden doors that had a symbol carved into them. They were initials. I pushed them open. It was an art studio. It looked like the one Rowan had at his house.

Stepping in, I closed the door behind me and looked around. My eyes were attracted to the red paint-stained floor. I crouched down and looked at it closely. My eyebrows shot up. It wasn't paint. It was blood. Dry blood. I blinked. What the hell was dry blood doing on a floor that nobody came on?

I stood and quickly searched. I had to hurry and find it before they had to leave. A breeze made the hairs on my arms stand. He was here but I paid no mind, so I continued to search. Moments later, I sighed. The studio wasn't bigger than her room, where could he have hidden it?

"Look closer," his voice said. Look closer? What did that even - I stepped back and looked over the entire studio until my eyes landed on a canvas that's covered with a paint splattered tarp. I walked  over to it and tugged it off. What was underneath had me stumbling away.

It's a painting of a woman surrounded with blood and a man standing over her with a gun. I look at the dry blood and back at the painting. Someone painted what happened here. As I looked closer, the man looked awfully like the Huges guy that shot the house owner. 

It was him. It was Hughes. But who did he kill? Who's the woman?

"I don't suppose you could tell me who the woman is," I said.

"Look closely, who does she look like? You've seen her before,"

I did as he said. The woman had brown hair and peachy skin but the skin tone they used for her arms and legs were pale. "Is that....." I almost didn't want to say it. "Is that dad and uncle cal's mom?"

"There you go,"

"But I thought my mom killed her?"

"That's what she wanted people to believe,"

"But....I'm confused,"

"Christian wasn't there when his mother was killed. Only Hannah was. Hughes killed his mother then Hannah took the fall because Hughes still wanted to remain partners with Christian,"

"But why would Hannah do that? I'm –"

"Why do people do stupid things for anyone?"

I sighed lightly. "She was in love with him,"

"There you go,"

"But what was she doing here? In the studio?"

"This is where she would escape their father. He was an abusive asshole behind closed doors and art helped her escape from the harsh reality,"