ೃ⁀➷ 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗛𝗥𝗘𝗘

ೃ⁀➷lowercase intended

ೃ⁀➷
lowercase intended

it had been a little over six months since elvis and marie's first encounter. spring had finished and the last few weeks of summer were trickling by. marie had graduated humes high with decent grades. 

elvis hadn't been around so much. his singing career had been taken off. it started with his one time appearance at the louisiana hayride. his performance had brought him a lot of attention.

ever since, he had been on tour with the 'circus' taking his act all around the south. marie's singing career, unfortunately, had stayed put. she sung every friday night at the country club, being given a dollar a song by the owner, who would slip it in her hand as if she were a child.

ೃ⁀➷

the sun had begun to leak through marie's satin curtains, hitting her face at an angle. she woke up, her room was already humid and stuffy from the warm morning air. she sighed breathlessly, sitting up. her hair was in pin curled rags from last night.

she wore her pink gingham two piece pyjama set. swinging her legs onto the floor, she fluttered over to the windows. opening one and turning on her side fan.

she turned the corner on the landing, walking down the oak steps. her mother and father must already be at the club. she sighed, she hated spending every goddamn weekend at that country club.

marie took a glass from the cupboard, filling it up with ice. the perfect face cooler. she went into the drawing room, switching the portable radio on and sitting down.

"well jerry, this is 'love me' by elvis presley." the man on the radio said.

another voice followed. "presley again? the youth cant get enough of him!"

marie leant over and turned it up, pressing the cool glass against her cheeks.

"treat me like a fool.."
his voice sent a wave of butterflies through her body
"treat me mean and cruel."
she missed him.
"but love me... wring my faithful heart! tear it all apart!"

marie listened intently, one side of her face pressed against the radio, the other pressed against the ice glass.

after the song ended she sighed, switching the radio off. she drunk the melted ice and made her way upstairs. it was time to actually start her day.

ೃ⁀➷

elvis was sat on the concrete steps of his apartment block. a guitar in one hand and a glass of his momma's homemade lemonade in the other. he sported a blue floral-ly patterned shirt and a pair of white suit pants. it was one of his rare weekends home and he was trying to make the best out of it.

the sun beat down on him, his jet black hair soaking it up. his face was sweating slightly as he picked up his pick and began strumming. the lauderdale courts were one of the only places in memphis he could play without being recognised. his sun records signing had made him a local celebrity.

"booby!" he heard his momma shouting from the open window of his apartment. "booby! that colonel fellas on the phone! he wants ya'."

elvis looked up shouting "i'm coming momma!"

he swung his guitar over his shoulder and picked up the empty lemonade glass. he walked upstairs and into the apartment. the door was always kept a little open in the summer.

elvis walked into the kitchen and picked up the phone.

"colonel?" elvis spoke.

"my boy!" the colonel shouted. "how's your weekend off?"

"it's been pretty good. only just the start of it really." elvis chuckled leaning up against the wall.

"right, well.. very good." the colonel spoke. "we're looking for one more act. you know... one more for the male audience." he chuckled down the phone. "jimmie's been looking.. but all he can find is colored girls. you know the carnival won't allow a colored girl on stage."

elvis sighed.

hearing his sigh the colonel decided to go on. "i was just wondering if you knew anyone, my boy."

"i don't know colonel. i would need to do some thinkin'." elvis said pinching the bridge of his nose.

"ah well, you have until monday to get back to me, that is if you know anyone." he said. "wish my love to your mother and father."

"i will colonel."

"goodbye my boy!"
elvis put the phone back on the receiver and sighed.

he was still leaning up against the wall, trying to think of someone.

it hit him.
marie booker!

ೃ⁀➷

marie sung to herself as she moved around her room. she stood at her wardrobe, flicking through her summer dresses.

"violet, blue, green, red to keep me out. i win." she hummed, barely audible.

marie pulled out an all white dress. it was tight at the top with tank straps and a lacy bodice. the skirt fanned out to just below her knees.

she layed the dress out on her freshly made bed. she took a pair of lacy white gloves to match, and her black round toed kitten heels. she placed both items on her bed, before going over and sitting at her vanity.

she pulled out her pin curls, brushing them with her horsehair brush. she applied her blush with her fingers, pressing a tiny amount into the apples of her cheeks. she added a black laced headband to her hair. she got dressed, spraying her favourite "chanel no. 5" over her body.

she jumped at the sound of the phone ringing downstairs. the shrill of it made her shiver. she rushed down the steps and into her kitchen, she picked up the phone, sitting on the countertop.

"marie? that you?" she heard his voice.

"elvis?"