ೃ⁀➷ 𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗧𝗘𝗡

ೃ⁀➷lowercase intended

ೃ⁀➷
lowercase intended

marie could feel a slight lump form in the back of her throat. she stood by the door for a long time. tapping a nail nervously on her glass. the commotion coming from the entrance hall had died down slightly. she took herself upstairs.

marie was crestfallen and it was plastered on her face.

"marie.. darling?" her mother called out.

marie stilled, her nervous tapping stopped. her mother? she hadn't seen her since... marie couldn't remember. it was before the tour. nothing had sprung between the two, just mrs bookers usual lack of consideration.

she stood for a minute, eyeing her. she had a long draping mink fur coat on. her usual red lipstick was smudged, the excess on the rim of her martini glass. her auburn pin curls were askew.
she looked much older.

"well aren't you going to greet your own mother?" her transatlantic accent flowed beautifully. she was physically drunk but her voice didn't tell.

marie awkwardly went over and gave her mother a small hug. mrs booker was short. shorter than marie without her heels.

"i saw you up there, you... sure did shine."

"thanks... thank you mother." marie leant on her hip slightly, shifting her weight.

"oh marie- stand up straight." marie's mother placed her glass down on the side. moving her hands to marie's shoulders, fixing her posture.

marie let out an exasperated smile, moving to fix her posture. she stood studying her mothers eyes, she looked sad on the inside. she was a shell, fragile... even weak.

ever since her father became marie's tour manager, he had been sleeping around. marie watched the women come in and out of the drawing room.

elvis enjoyed throwing small gatherings, inviting his closest workers and friends. marie only spectated what happened, and helped to clear the aftermath.

"jordan! jay?" a slurred male voice called out, stepping into the entrance hall.

marie recognised him almost instantly. he was the young son of the country club owner. he was in his early twenties.. maybe twenty-three.. twenty-four?

he had always tried it with marie, unsuccessfully of course. marie raised an eyebrow, but immediately fell to a plain expression, she was too tired to argue.