Chapter Six

Brooklyn was once again left in a state of shock. Thaddeus had basically tried to kill her just then. Her neck stung and throbbed, and she groaned. Brooklyn hesitantly made her way out of the alleyway, looking in the direction her son had run off in. She couldn't even see him, was he fast or was her eyesight getting worse? She couldn't tell. 

Brooklyn walked back to the motel she had made plans to stay at for a night but instead ended up sleeping in her truck, speaking of which, it was still parked in the same place she'd left it. Hopping inside, Brooklyn strapped on her seatbelt, turned on the engine, and began driving. 

Brooklyn wanted to just go home, be there for her little daughter since it apparently seemed like she failed to do so for her first child. But she knew she couldn't, not just now anyway. Brooklyn drove for what seemed like forever until she reached her brother's house. Bernard lived a couple of hours away from Zagen, so it wasn't too big of a hassle. 

Brooklyn climbed out of her car, staring her Bernard's house up and down. It was here and now when she realized just how similar the two's taste for living was. Almost just like hers, Bernard's house was rather large despite it just being three people who lived here, but Brooklyn wasn't in a place to judge, she only had herself and her daughter living in a big house. 

When she reached the door, she knocked on it, not sure where Bernard was in this place. The door opened a couple minutes later but Brooklyn wasn't expecting the person behind it to be her nine-year-old nephew, Truman. She smiled at the boy, who kind of just stared at her.  "Anderfon house, how can I elp you?" The boy said, setting Brooklyn back. Did a nine-year-old really not know how to speak right? "Who's at the door!?" Bernard's voice called as clear footsteps made their way towards the door. "A wrid lady." Truman said as Bernard opened the door further, glancing at his sister before looking down at his son. "Weird, it's weird, Truman, not wrid, go play." 

Bernard practically shoved Truman away, which Brooklyn scoffed at but said nothing. When Bernard looked back at Brooklyn, he instantly noticed her burnt and bruised neck, his eyes widening. "Did Dad do that?" Bernard whispered as he pulled Brooklyn inside. "No, though I'd rather it have been him." Brooklyn sighed, and Bernard's fist clenched. "Who was it then?" He growled, being the oddly protective brother, he tended to be. It didn't happen a lot, but sometimes it did. 

"Thaddeus." Brooklyn admitted hesitantly. Bernard nearly fell. "He did that!? Wasn't he in a hospital?" Bernard stared at Brooklyn in shock. "He was, Dad got him out. Now he's living with him along with Alastor. Yeah, he's there too. So's Aunt Kathryn-" 

"ALASTOR IS AT DAD'S HOUSE, AND YOU DIDN'T TELL ME!?" Bernard screeched.

"I'm sorry, I just thought you'd find out eventually, and besides, I hoped he could help me get Dad arrested finally."

"I might kill that boy." Bernard completely disregarded what Brooklyn said, grumbling. 

"Bernard, if we both go to Dad's house, there's a chance we could get Alastor back. Thaddeus has made it pretty clear he doesn't want me around."

"I'm not going back to the madhouse."

"For the sake of your son, will you go!? I know Dad messed you up, but Alastor is there right now, and he might end up being Dad's little pawn. So please, will you stop being a coward and just come with me?"

"No! He's the one who decided to go over to Dad."

"Ala's with Grandpa?" Truman's voice suddenly spoke. The siblings turned to see Truman clinging to a doorframe. Bernard sighed, "Truman, not now, go to your room!" Truman whined in protest. "But!-" And of course, Bernard just had to yell. "GO!" Truman scurried off immediately. 

"You really are a shitty father, you know that?" Brooklyn seethed, making Bernard glare at her. "Fine, if you don't want to actually be an adult, I'll go get your son myself. You're only making things worse; I hope you know that." Brooklyn said as she stormed out of the house and to her car.

As she was driving away, Brooklyn thought of how she could reach Alastor without being around her father. That's when she got it. She knew both Alastor and Thaddeus were returning from school when she spoke with her son, so she decided that the next day, she'd go to pick them up.

-------------------------------------------------------

Chapter six complete. I really wanted to have Brooklyn talk face to face with Bernard, plus I missed Truman. XD