Chapter 24

(Two days after Ferret's chapter. If you want to see a fight happen between Thaddeus and Alastor, go read her book)

Two days ago, Thaddeus had gone to surprise Ashur at school to pick him up. But of course, Alastor had to be there. After a small fight, Thaddeus had ended it by threatening to kill Truman, who he guessed was the reason Alastor was there to begin with.

The two made a deal of some sort. They even shook fiery hands on it. Until they couldn't see each other anymore, until both had left the school lot, they couldn't hurt or attack each other. If either of them had broken this pact, then they'd be immediately shunned by all humans with special abilities, they'd be stripped of honer.

Thaddeus didn't like agreeing to it, but if it meant getting Ashur out of there safely, then he'd do it.

Again, that was two days ago, and since then, Thaddeus hadn't let Ashur return to school. He was still upset with Fernec for letting Ashur keep his first name to use. Speaking of Fernec, he'd just gotten back to the house after secretly taking Ashur to school, of course doing so without Thaddeus's knowledge.

Thaddeus, who was sitting hunched over on the couch staring at a bunch of his notebooks, looked over to him. Fernec seemed...off, to say the least. More nervous and anxious. Fernec stood by the door, he didn't seem to want to move, so the two just stared at each other.

"Are you okay?" Thaddeus asked, leaning up.

Fernec's face fell, he had sadness written in his eyes. "Thaddeus...I'm so sorry." He practically whispered, Thaddeus tilted his head.

Thaddeus peered over Fernec's shoulder when he heard loud, heavy footsteps outside, then his heart skipped a beat when he heard the sounds of guns loading.

"What the hell did you do, Fernec?" Thaddeus's voice was surprisingly quiet, he didn't seem too panicked about this current situation. Then he thought of Ashur. Thaddeus immediately launched up from the couch, about to dart towards the stairs when Fernec held up a hand.

"Don't," he said, "Ashur isn't home, I took him to school today."

Thaddeus honestly couldn't be upset about Ashur being at school, at least he wasn't at the house right now. Thaddeus just glared at Fernec, he felt so confused.

Fernec picked up on it immediately, and his expression crumbled once more. "He told me if I gave you and Ashur up, he'd help me find my son."

Thaddeus instantly knew who "he" was, the only person who could probably find a way to get into contact with Fernec and even help him. Zagen.

"He's lying." Thaddeus's voice was strained, he couldn't believe how easily Fernec was giving into Zagen, how quickly Fernec was able to betray him. Thaddeus rarely ever placed trust in anyone, Fernec was one of the few he had actually thought wouldn't do something like this. After all, they'd been talking for a year, and Fernec really did help him during that time.

"I need to know if my son is okay, he also told me he could get me fired from my work for helping you." Fernec said, just as Thaddeus heard the armed men outside getting ready to come in and presumably take Thaddeus away.

Thaddeus inhaled sharply. Quickly, he swiped a notebook off of the coffee table and made a run for it, bolting for the back door, which was located down a small hallway past the kitchen.

He hated that he'd have to leave all his journals and hard work behind, however, he'd do it if it meant securing his freedom.

Immediately, one armed man with a rifle dressed all in black tried to charge him. Thaddeus scoffed and sent a massive wave of fire towards the man, easily blasting him backwards. Then Thaddeus ran further through the backyard, soon leaping over a fence.