Chapter 23

(Please read Ferrets chapter to see Ashur's reaction to learning what Thaddeus did to his family. It has also been a few days since Thaddeus realized what he did)

Thaddeus felt, well, simply relieved. The same kid who had just gotten mad at him was now hugging and forgiving him.  Thaddeus finally felt like he could breathe again.

The two just stayed where they were, silently hugging, then Thaddeus remembered what Ashur had said. Thaddeus finally pulled away, looking at Ashur.

"You're fourteen and you've got dissociative amnesia? I didn't think that was possible." He said, making Ashur shrug. "Apparently, it is."

Ashur and Thaddeus eventually left the room they were in, entering the living room where Fernec and Antaura were. Fernec was sitting on the couch, his head immediately snapped up in Thaddeus's direction, it looked like he was waiting for him.

Meanwhile, Antaura was in the kitchen that connected with the living room, soon making her way to Ashur. Antaura had a small smile on her face, one Thaddeus couldn't tell if it was from excitement or something else.

Antaura gently grabbed Ashur's arm and led him away, soon up the stairs and presumably to her room. Thaddeus raised a brow as he watched them, then turned back to Fernec, who stood up.

"I signed Ashur up for school, Antaura's telling him now. Before you get upset, it's not the same one you went to, it's one closer to here." He said, making Thaddeus's eyes widen.

"You couldn't have asked me first!? Or him!? Hell no! What if he gets found out?" Thaddeus aggressively stepped forward, his eyes now narrowed.

"I knew if I asked you, you'd say no. I think it will be good for him to be around other kids his age, I'm sure it's been a very long two years for him." Fernec said, trying to stay calm. He understood Thaddeus being paranoid about this, so he tried his hardest not to become frustrated.

Thaddeus scoffed, shaking his head as Fernec continued talking. "I put him under a new name, I even got Antaura to agree to tell everyone Ashur is her cousin. Trust me, no one will know it's him."

"Did you know he hasn't been around other kids for two years? It's gonna be too much." Thaddeus said, trying to come up with any reason for Ashur to not have to go.

Fernec stared blankly at him. "And how long did you spend by yourself? Tell me, Thaddeus, do you really want the same thing that happened to you happen to him? He has a chance to heal from his past."

Thaddeus went dead quiet, staring at the floor for a moment. Fernec was right, and Thaddeus knew it. Thaddeus couldn't be around a person long before he'd either attack them or run. He didn't want Ashur becoming as aggressive or paranoid as he had, he didn't want Ashur building all these trust issues.

So eventually, Thaddeus nodded, finally caving in. After a few minutes, Fernec went upstairs while Thaddeus sat on the couch, staring again at the floor as he thought.

At some point, Ashur came down the stairs along with Antaura, who made her way to the kitchen as Ashur approached Thaddeus, looking incredibly uncomfortable.

"Did you know I'm starting school tomorrow?" Ashur said, sitting down next to Thaddeus, who nodded. "I just found out."

"Do I have to? I really don't want to and I know you don't want me to-" Ashur couldn't finish before Thaddeus interrupted. "I think you should go."

Ashur's eyes widened. "No! Why?"

Thaddeus turned to him, his eyes softening. "I get that you haven't talked to anyone for a long time, I think you need to start again, especially with other kids."

Ashur opened his mouth to rebel, but Thaddeus spoke first. "It'll be good for you, Ashur, you're better off than I was when I was your age. You should act on that. So I'm sorry, but this isn't up for debate. You're going."

Thaddeus stood up and walked away before Ashur could do or say something. Thaddeus went out the front door to take a moment and soon Fernec joined him outside, unable to keep himself from laughing as he stood next to Thaddeus, who stared at him.

"What's so funny?" Thaddeus asked, so Fernec took a breath and calmed himself down.

"I sat on the stairs to listen to you and Ashur. Honestly, I think you're his father now." Fernec said, still chuckling. Thaddeus rolled his eyes and looked away.

"Don't even start." He said softly as he leaned against the doorframe. "I took his dad away from him, I'm nowhere close to being anything like that for him."

Fernec sighed, his chuckling slowing down then stopping. "You really know how to take the fun out of something, huh?"

Thaddeus silently glared at him before going back inside.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kind of a short chapter, but I'm sort of just giving Ferret something to use for her book.