Heir for the Day

Elaera & Daemon's apartments, Maegor's Holdfast, the Red Keep

112 AC

"Elaera!" Rhaenyra yelled, storming in.

"What?" the fourteen year old groaned, staggering out of her bed chamber.

"Did you speak to Daemon last night?" the Realm's Delight inquired.

"Yes I did before he went out to do night patrols." Elaera answered confused. Ser Arryk nodded in confirmation for the elder princess and Ser Harrold.

"There is a... rumor. An ugly one." Rhaenyra said.

"Nyra if you don't tell me I will do a repeat of Pulley Test Run #4 in your room." Elaera threatened.

"There was a tribute last night, apparently." Rhaenyra's lips thinned as anger flickered in her violet eyes. "In which our brother—may the Fourteen preserve his soul– Prince Baelon was referred to as 'the heir for a day.' And the toast allegedly made by Daemon himself."

"Who told the Small Council this? Uncle Daemon wouldn't ever say something like that!" Elaera protested.

Because deep down, at his very core, Daemon loved his family. He wouldn't ever say something like this—even when drunk.

"A spy. Ser Otto's."

"And His Grace the king believes this?" the silver haired princess said incredulously.

"Yes." Rhaenyra said.

"Where the hell is our bumbling buffoon of a father, Rhaenyra?"

"The Throne Room."

Throne Room, the Red Keep

112 AC

Elaera burst into the throne room, the guards stepping outside to give her and Viserys privacy.

"How dare you!?" she shouted.

"He said horrible things, Elaera! Of my son, mocked by my own brother!" Viserys roared.

"The word of a spy." Elaera spat. "Who is paid by the man who wants nothing more then his blood on the Iron Throne!"

"Otto is a great—"

SLAP!

"By sending my husband away, you have made me weak, Your Grace!" she screamed. "The only reason I agreed to marry him because he would protect me! Now I am open to the lords who will try and marry me, despite my marriage!"

"Daemon is a viper, a snake. He will destroy and kill for the Iron Throne!" the Young King roared.

"Bold words from the man who cut open his wife!" the Silver Princess screamed.

"What?" Viserys breathed.

"I saw it." Elaera hissed, tears in her eyes. "What you allowed Mellos to do to her! I saw how you cut open your own wife to finally, finally, Have.  Your. Son!"

Her breathing and her father's turned ragged. Fury and sadness and sheer loathing shone in her lilac eyes.

"YOU!" she screamed. "You! You killed her! Deny it all you want, BUT YOU KILLED MY MOTHER! TO FINALLY, FINALLY, GET THE SON YOU ALWAYS WANTED! THE SON RHAENYRA AND I COULD NEVER BE!"

She felt Perzysia's distress and comfort down their bond. 

"I HATE YOU!" Elaera shrieked.

Despite that, she still accepted her father embracing her.

"I want her back." she sobbed, clinging to him as if she was a child again.

"So do I." Viserys whispered. "I am so, so sorry, Ellie."

Crying, the Silver Princess passed out in her father's arms.

The last words her mother said to her echoed in her mind.

I love you.

That is today's chapter. Lot's of angst between Viserys and Elaera, since she figured out who gave Mellos the permission to cut open Aemma pretty quick.