The Midnight Fortress & Caelum

Caelum, Blackwater Bay

113 AC

The Midnight Fortress was of Valyrian design, the perfect mix between a fortress and a palace. Made from dragonstone, it sat near the volcano but in a spot that would keep it safe from explosions.

The Midnight Fortress was made by the Valyrians, sparsely used as a trading outpost and the Targaryens would keep pirates away. Jaehaerys and Alysanne, along with their children, used it as a summer palace.

After Alysanne's death, Jaehaerys never went to the Midnight Fortress again.

Then Viserys had the Midnight Fortress renovated and gave it to Elaera to rule as her own with Daemon as a wedding gift, founding House Targaryen of the Midnight Fortress, ruling the strategic island of Caelum.

Caelum was a mix of volcanic Dragonstone and fertile Driftmark. The island had several iron, gold, and diamond minds the inhabitants had been mining for centuries, but they theorized they had made a dent in a dent.

There was only one major city: Everlight Haven, and a few other villages along the coast.

Elaera was determined to bring Caelum up.

The Midnight Fortress, Caelum

Mid 113 AC

Elaera's screams of pain echoed throughout the halls of the fortress. Arryk stiffly stood outside the door while the ladies in waiting fluttered in and out.

Arryk had been the princess's sworn shield since she was a baby. The Ruby Dragon was the closet thing he had to a daughter, and Elaera saw him a second father.

Mentally cursing Daemon for running away from his wife to start a war, he could only pray to the Fourteen and the Seven that Elaera and the baby would survive the labor.

There was another loud scream and then a loud wail of a baby.

The midwife stepped out after another ten minutes. 

"The princess, and the child?" the Kingsguard knight inquired.

"A boy, the Rogue Prince's long awaited son." the midwife frowned. "Come in, Daemon won't be here for a long time so you'll do."

Arryk entered the room. "Princess." he bowed.

"Please don't. I just spent a day in labor and I don't need formalities right now." the Silver Princess grumbled, exhausted to the bone. She held out her son for her father in all but blood to see.

"What's his name?" Arryk inquired as he carefully picked up the baby boy, who curiously peered up with deep purple eyes as strands of silver-white hair clung to his head.

"Prince Maekar Targaryen." Elaera smiled. "It means 'protector' in High Valyrian."

_________________________________________

And so, on the fifteenth day of the ninth moon of 113 AC, Prince Maekar Targaryen was born. Caelum celebrated the birth of the heir to the Midnight Throne, and ravens flew to King's Landing to inform King Viserys of his grandson's birth.

It would take six months for a raven to reach Daemon in the Stepstones, to inform him of his son's arrival. 

And it would take him three years after leaving to conquest the Stepstones in 115 AC to return back to Westeros.

— Excerpt from The Court of the King Viserys I, by Lady Teresa Tyrell, the Historian.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it!