The Dragon Twins

Caelum, the Midnight Fortress

115 AC

Daemon paced nervously as his wife's screams rang through the palace. Maekar was being distracted by three of his wife's Ladies in Waiting: Allyria Baratheon, Livia Velaryon, and Emily Arryn.

Alyssa Velaryon, Aemma Arryn, Daella Targaryen, and Alyssa Targaryen had died in the birthing bed, and he prayed to the Fourteen that his wife would not be taken from him.

"How did you stand it?" he inquired Arryk.

"I just prayed to the Seven that she would live, that she was strong and she would get through this." the sworn shield answered.

Another loud scream came followed by the cry of a baby, and then came another screech of a newborn.

Thirty minutes later, a midwife opened the door. "Twin girls, My Prince. Identical, both of them."

"My wife?" he demanded.

"Perfectly fine." the midwife assured him. "We're just giving her some herbs and then you can come in."

Five minutes later, he was let in. Teresa Tyrell hurried out, most likely to fetch Maekar.

"The one in red is the eldest." the Tyrell maiden informed him.

Elaera was propped up by pillows, her silver hair simply braided back but lilac eyes bright with happiness and love, holding two bundles, one black, and one red.

"Come meet your daughters, Daemon." the Silver Princess smiled at him, handing him the twin in red.

She was so small, his little daughter. Hazy light violet eyes peered up at him, and she gurgled.

"What should we name them?" he asked, giving her his finger. She grabbed it instantly, clenching and unclenching with her perfect, tiny hand.

"I've always been fond of the name Rhaena." Elaera offered, and she held up into bundle in black. "Our current youngest could be named Rhaena, and have a happier fate than the first Rhaena."

Daemon nodded, he would give his daughters much happier fates than the Queen in the East. "Princess Rhaena Targaryen... it sounds perfect."

He looked down at the elder twin and smiled. "I've always wanted a daughter named Baela, for Baelon the Brave. Honoring my father, giving her a great namesake, and still making sure the name is her own."

"Baela Targaryen... Princesses Baela and Rhaena Targaryen... Baela and Rhaena. That sounds perfect." the Lady of Starlight smiled brightly.

It was one of the most beautiful things Daemon had ever seen.

That is today's chapter. I hope you all enjoyed it!