1) Arrival

The masked soldier, the mohawk man, and a group of other soldiers approached me. Most of them were only shaking my hand and thanking me. However, Ghost and, who I found out to be called, Soap stated.

I looked at them expectingly.

"Redfield," Ghost flatly said.

"Yes, sir," I nodded.

"As in Claire?" Ghost asked.

"Claire is not BSAA," I answered.

"So, you're not Chris' sister?" Soap concluded.

I hated this kind of confrontation more than anything. People always expected me to be like the Chris Redfield. To be as good as him.

My reputation did not go as good. A lot of accusation of nepotism and favouritism. I did work my ass off, harder than any of the other BSAA unit.

"I'm not," I confirmed.

The two were still looking at me. The way people looked at me once they knew my name. I looked nothing like the Chris Redfield.

After some time, they dropped their confusions.

Ghost patted me on the shoulder. My hand turned into a fist upon impact as a sharp pain shot through my shoulder. I hoped he did not notice that.

"Good job tonight," he said.

It felt like a wall just hit me straight in the face.

"Thank you, sir," I said again.

The lieutenant walked away after giving me another look.

"You look tense. Are you alright?" Soap asked.

"I'm fine," I assured. "First day back. I was discharged due to foolish injuries."

"I thought yer scared of Ghost," Soap chuckled.

I could not help but smile.

"No. I've met Hunk," I replied. "They're more or less the same. I think."

"Umbrella's Grim Reaper," Soap nodded. "Well, what about you joining us for a drink?"

"Actually, I'm to see Captain Price," I replied. "I'm not sure where I should be going."

"I'll show you," Soap said as he started walking.

I tailed Soap.

All the way, I noticed that people were looking. I assumed it was the uniform I was wearing. Too noticeable. Too... nonuniform. Compared to what the others were wearing.

It felt like I was a lost kid at a mall and Soap would be the security person about to hand deliver me to my mum who was Price. Hell, that was not even accurate since I had only met Price once on a social event.

Just beyond the hangar, I saw Price already. He was talking with Ghost. He clocked me and gestured at me to come. He looked like he would be going.

Soap let me walked ahead. I stopped just a few steps in front of Price.

"Sir," I greeted.

"Caelith," he replied. "How are you?"

"Back from the dead, sir. What about you?" I replied.

"Good, thank you," Price nodded. "I didn't think Chris would send his daughter for this."

"His daughter?" Ghost repeated. "Fuckin' hell."

Adoptive.

"A curse I have to bear," I flatly smiled.

Price chuckled lightly.