8) Secret

I let Rebecca did the talking. Mostly because she had the power over Chris in just a wag of a finger. I only listened to the two and they eventually argued about letting me go in the first place.

Rebecca seemed to be winning the argument.

"That's it, Caelith, you're getting discharged. I'll have your discharge paper in an hour," Chris decided. "You're going home!"

"She's not a kid anymore, Chris, stop treating her like one!" Rebecca argued. "Besides, the last time I check, you're not anymore either, so stop acting like one."

"This is a violation of our rules. She should be put in a lab. I'm talking as her superior officer," Chris stated.

"Why haven't you put me in a lab, then?" I questioned.

Chris only looked at me.

"Sending me home means nothing different than putting me in a lab," I stated.

"So, what, I should just deploy you? Look at what happened to you this time," Chris pointed out.

"What happened is that at least the people in 141 trust me more than you do," I said. "They don't care whatever bio organic bullshit I'm having, they care I get the job done. You're welcome, by the way, BSAA rep just get boosted."

"If you're part of the BSAA, you should be fighting with us, not them," Chris said.

"Fuck you! You sent me while you should've sent an SOA," I replied.

"Well, I shouldn't have," Chris replied.

"Yeah, you shouldn't have, but you did," I challenged. "So, discharge me all you want. Just know I just killed another terrorist. This time being the only BSAA in a squad and I'm not the last man standing. Again."

"I will discharge you, Caelith, that's for sure. I'm not gonna let what happened to Piers happens to you," Chris stated.

"I'd rather die like him than in a lab or in my own bed," I replied.

"I'm not letting that happen," Chris insisted.

"I'm working on a cure," Rebecca stated.

"Then, you're staying off the grid until it's done," Chris stated.

"Won't happen," I said.

"You'd be disobeying order," Chris concluded.

"I'll call Barry," I challenged.

"I already did. Last night," Rebecca said. "He thinks she's good to go."

Chris looked at Rebecca in disbelief.

"She's one of the best SOUs and we can consider the latest mission a trial run, which she nailed pretty good," Rebecca reasoned. "She's also been wearing a helmet because she's worried she might turn."

There was a tense silence clouding us.

"Fine," Chris said. "I'll get you a helmet."

"Thank you," I flatly said. "It's not so bad, right?"

Chris exhaled.

"I'm not that kid anymore, Chris," I reminded again.

"The switch doesn't work on me like that, Caelith," Chris stated.

I looked at Rebecca who lightly shrugged at me.

"I'll see you again tonight," Chris informed before he walked away.

"Tonight?" I repeated.

"Tonight," Chris confirmed.

I looked back at Rebecca as soon as the infirmary door was closed.