13) Dead Weight

A/N: Apologies for keep unpublishing and publishing stuff, but I finally found a course for this story and hopefully I can stick with it this time. Anyway, this is the point where the story's going to be more RE heavy. There'd be references, inside jokes, and silly whacky RE shit. If you are not interested, I'd have to refer you to my Tumblr account because I have a lot of Simon fics there. Thank you. Enjoy.

***

"Alright. Let them through," the captain said.

"Thank you, captain," I said as we walked passed the blockade.

From here, I could see that there were tents being hoisted. Soldiers of both the BSAA and the British Army were arriving. Helicopters were arriving in the distance, too.

There were quite the number of British soldiers on this side of the roadblock along with a couple of BSAA soldier of my rank. Alike most BSAA soldiers, they must had heard about me becaue they were looking at me very cautiously. 

One of the sergeants approached us and stood in front of us as if to block our way in. Then, he turned to Simon instead of me.

"Sir, we'll have to take you to medical to run some tests in case you're infected," he said before turning to me, waving his hand back to point a direction. "Sergeant, they're waiting for you at the big tent."

Then, I assumed that Chris had specific order for this guy regarding my arrival. Frankly, I was worried he would insist to run some tests on me, too, geez.

Simon and I exchanged a look.

"Better safe than waking up with three extra arms tomorrow," I joked to Simon.

"Funny," Simon flatly commented.

"Oh, it happened. Deadass, I saw it," I promised.

From there, I thanked the sergeant and saluted Price before heading to the tent that stood out from the rest.

Inside, I saw Chris standing in front of a white board that had a map taped on it with a bunch of British soldiers standing in front of him, creating a crumple of people. There were very few BSAA soldiers there. When I stepped in through the flap, everyone turned to me immediately.

"So, how is it out there?" Chris asked right away.

"At least two buildings have survivors on the roof, sir, and are waiting for rescue. Infected seems to spread rapidly, but I was unable to identify the origin. Nothing really stood out," I reported.

"Did you encounter any mutation?" Chris asked.

"No, sir," I answered.

The entrance of the tent flapped. A woman in a labcoat came in with a folder.

I looked around the tent. The British soldiers were looking at the BSAA soldiers nervously as Chris examined the paper inside the folder, quietly talking with the researcher.

A moment passed. The researcher left and everyone returned their attentio to Chris who looked like he just made up his mind.

"Alright. I need everybody to get ready before we leave as soon as the rescue teams return. Round up by the LZ, report to SOA Wilson. He's gonna be leading this operation," Chris stated.

After a very bad peptalk, Chris dismissed the rest of the soldiers. When I was about to leave, he called me back in.

When the tent was empty, Chris put my helmet bag on the table. I quickly switched helmet, making sure to put Simon's helmet into my bag to ensure its safety.