XXV

Mrs. Zabini gave her the file that she had taken from her desk. Without lifting her eyes from her face, Antheia reached out and grabbed it. She opened it up to see all the reports and updates of the club. All the information that previous members would receive. She felt her blood run cold as she looked up.

"You. . .you were in the club. . ." she said slightly above a whisper. Her eyes were wide and any warmth in her face from Blaise's touch was gone. She was sure she was as pale as a ghost as a million thoughts collided with her at once.

Mrs. Zabini smiled, "You're a smart girl, Antheia. I don't keep up with the newest members, but when I saw who was next in line to take over, I couldn't believe my eyes. The club hasn't changed much since I was in school and I pondered what your task could possibly be. And then you began to cling onto Blaise and it all made sense. If you give me your report, not only will I stay out of your relationship with my son, I'll help you in whatever you'll need."

"By asking me to give you my report and fail to submit it, you're asking me to choose between you and the club."

"I'm not asking you to choose me," said Mrs. Zabini.

"But you're asking me to choose," said Antheia, "It's not that I'm incredibly dedicated or loyal to the club, but I'll be losing the entire support of the club."

"I have access to a lot of the presidents in various career fields. The club is not the only way to gain connections, Antheia. If you give up your report, you won't need the club anymore." 

Antheia found herself lost for words. She didn't know what to do and what did Mrs. Zabini mean by saying she'd also stay out of her relationship with Blaise? Was she implying if she didn't hand over the report, she'd get in between them in some way? So she was choosing between Mrs. Zabini's support in basically everything, including her relationship with Blaise apparently, and the club that she spent so much time on? The club with the people that she had grown to know really well and care for? The club that had guaranteed her success no matter what? But Mrs. Zabini was offering her the same thing as the club. Could she even be trusted?

And her fellow club members were depending on her, how could she turn her back on them? They weren't all best friends, but she liked them nevertheless.

"It must be a difficult choice," said Mrs, Zabini as she took back the file she had given Antheia, "I'll give you some time to think about it, until your second term starts actually. I know you'll make the right choice. Go get some rest now."

Antheia looked at her one last time before she left her office. It felt as if she was a shell, as if her soul was out of her body and she was simply going through normal actions. As she pushed the bedroom door to the guest room open, she didn't even close the door properly before her legs gave out beneath her.

"Antheia?"

Antheia looked up to see Blaise sitting on the bed, his eyebrows furrowed before he stood up and was at her side in an instant.

"Antheia? What's wrong?" He asked her, placing a hand on her shoulder.

She looked at his face, a sad smile on her face unlike her usual one, "Are you worried?" she whispered as she saw an unfamiliar look on his face.

"Sure I am. It's not everyday you're falling on the floor as if you saw someone come back from the dead," said Blaise. She wasn't sure what it was, but something about the way he spoke comforted her and she wrapped her arms around his neck, pushing her body close to his for a hug. She felt Blaise stiffen in her arms for a split second before his shoulders relaxed and he wrapped his own arms around her. That was basically confirmation that she could hug him and she tightened her hold.