XXXII

"I almost didn't recognize you," said Laurie as he came up behind her and Hamilton. His eyes left her and towards Hamilton, he smiled politely, "Hello. Doing well, I hope?"

"Can't do poorly with this one around," responded Hamilton as he violently harassed her head before she pushed him off. She ran her fingers through her hair.

"Thanks for reminding me why I prefer my sister to my brothers," she grumbled, "I should send her a letter, I forget about her half the time."

"You're welcome," said Hamilton.

It was as if she suddenly remembered Laurie was there and smiled, "Hi, Laurie! How was your break?"

"Not as eventful as yours," he said, "Theodore told me I missed quite the show."

She laughed, albeit a little nervously, "Where's your friends? Are you alone?"

"They're around somewhere. What's with your hair?"

"I decided I didn't hate Andreas' guts," she said, ignoring the way Hamilton's attention returned to the conversation, "We're all brunettes, but Andreas and I have different shades of brown from Taz and Cal. I'm kidding, of course, that's not why I changed my hair. I don't care about Andreas enough to let him influence my decision over what I do with my hair."

He laughed, "I believe you. Must be tough having a rocky relationship with your siblings. I love my sister more than anything — yet again, she's five."

"I didn't know you had a sister. . ." said Antheia, "It's weird we spent so much time together but we barely know anything about one another."

"Ouch. That hurts coming from you," said Laurie, "Miss queen of gossip."

"I'm sorry no one wants to know about Lawrence Cross's five year old sister."

"Well, if they do send them my way. I have a few words I'd like to share." She laughed and he continued, "I'm sure you understand as a younger sister."

"I understand as a sister," she nodded, "I love Anastasios wholeheartedly. I'd do anything for him. If he got a pet squid and told me he was low on food, I'd sacrifice Hamilton just to see him happy — sorry! Sorry! I'm only joking. Anyway, I know he loves me too and I know I'm his favourite sibling. However, he's always been backup, you know? If I find myself in trouble, he's the kind to step back until I show signs of distress and I love him for that. He has faith in me."

Of course, she had been silly. She had lost sight of the whole reason why she was doing what she was doing. Yes, she hated her father, but she loved her siblings more. And as much as she liked Blaise, she wanted to be able to support her siblings. She had to settle down with someone wealthy enough to provide for her siblings if they need it. Blaise fit the criteria but the problem was she had feelings for him. She couldn't use someone she liked. Hamilton, observant as ever, noticed a change in her expression and nudged her gently.

"Calyce, on the other hand. . ." said Hamilton quietly, an attempt to cheer her up. It worked and Antheia giggled, elbowing his ribs gently.

"It wasn't that she was protective, more that she looked for any reason to cause conflict," Antheia laughed, "I miss her old self sometimes. Adults are boring."

"She's hardly one," remarked Hamilton. "She's what —? eighteen?"

"She turned nineteen earlier this year I think."

"You think?"

Antheia shrugged before she turned back to Laurie, "Did you get anything special this Christmas?"

"Just some essentials, nothing special," he said, "You?"

"I got to spend time with my father, my favorite thing," she said sarcastically.