XXVI

The person she had been putting off seeing, the person she thought hated Contessina Zabini was standing six feet away from her and Antheia didn't know what to do. She couldn't move, bloody hell, she could hardly breathe properly.

Andreas made eye contact with her first and he looked so sad, remorseful even. He pitied her. It was a look she wasn't used to receive from him. Then, her father did. He had looked around the room first, taking it in no doubt, judging it silently in his mind, before his eyes fell on his daughter. The daughter that, just like Andreas, couldn't help but share their mother's expressive eyes. As much as she tried to remain calm, her eyes gave her away, they always did. Just as they always gave Andreas away and she could read him like the back of her hand.

Mr. Artino had a knack for acting clueless as if he didn't know the panic he was capable of setting off in her heart and in her mind.

"Antheia," he said, grinning. His smile infuriated her. It was such a strange way to react to such a beautiful action. But when it came from him, it disgusted her and she wished for nothing more than to wipe that stupid smile off his face. "Is that anyway to greet your father?"

He was no father of hers, but she snapped back into character, smiling a smile that didn't quite reach her eyes, "It's nice to see you, father. What are you doing here?"

"I invited him." She turned her head to see Mrs. Zabini descending the stairs, "I figured it was time we moved past what happened before. Don't you agree?"

"Certainly," she mumbled as she looked at Blaise, who seemed just as confused as she was.

"I'm glad you were able to make it, Anargyros," said Mrs. Zabini, "You're right on time."

Mr. Artino's eyes never left Antheia as he responded, "I was very pleased to have received your invitation, Contessina. This marks a new beginning for us."

His words unsettled Antheia. Abandoning Andreas' side, Mr. Artino walked over to Antheia, who watched him cautiously. He placed his hands on her shoulders as he said, "I'm glad to see you doing well, Antheia. I've missed you greatly." He proceeded to pull her into a hug that she had to restrain herself from pushing him away. As if that wasn't bad enough, he planted a kiss on her forehead. She was going to puke.

"Likewise," she mumbled, relieved he released her. She wasn't sure who he thought he was fooling, no one in that room thought they were close, himself included. "I'll just use the bathroom really quick."

"You know where to find us," said Mrs. Zabini as she led the way for her father and brother. Andreas couldn't even look at her and somehow that made her feel worse. Antheia walked away to the bathroom and didn't bother to close the door as she ran her hand under the water and rubbed at the spot where Mr. Artino's lips touched her. There wasn't anything there, she couldn't even see it in the mirror, but she could feel it. It made her feel gross and no matter how much she rubbed, it was still there.

She didn't realize Blaise had followed her until he walked behind her and opened up a cupboard. He didn't say a word to her as he grabbed a hand towel, ran it under the same water, and squeezed out the excess.

"Here," he said quietly, turning her to face him and gently rubbing the spot where she had moment prior with her hand.

"It's not helping," she said as she took the rag from his hands and rubbed it against her skin more forefully, "I feel so gross. I'm being dramatic, aren't I?"

She wasn't sure what he really thought bu nevertheless, Blaise shook his head, "I don't think you are, but you'll rub your skin raw with whatever you're doing. Will this make you feel better?"