28

tyler's point of view

it's been about a month since josh moved in next door. i still feel strange calling him that.

i'm still not used to seeing him outside of school either.

he walks into the restaurant with hayley and a girl i've seen with them before. i feel less awkward than i did the first time he came in. but still.

hayley steps up the counter first. "hey, tyler! how's it going?"

"alright. how are you guys?" i smile back at them, but the shyness i feel still makes me cringe inside.

"we're good! this is my lovely girlfriend taylor. i don't think i've ever introduced her." she takes the hand of the girl next to her.

"oh, hey. it's nice to meet you. i've seen you in here with hayley before," i note.

taylor's cheeks turn the lightest shade of pink, a nice compliment to her blonde hair.

"yeah, thats me," she says.

i get the feeling she's definitely more reserved than hayley, which i appreciate as someone who is dim compared to hayley's exuberance. i think they make a really good pair.

"you guys are really cute together," i nod, still smiling and still shy.

"ah, yes, the happy couple. i am simply a third wheel," josh says, breaking his short silence after standing on the other side of hayley quietly the whole time.

"joshua, do not kill the vibe," hayley scolds, slapping his arm playfully.

i laugh a little and i think maybe, just maybe, i see josh blush. it makes me wonder again if the feeling is mutual, if he's on the same side of this delicate line of crush and whatever type of 'friend' we've been toeing.

maybe sydney's plan is working.

"hayley, be nice." taylor giggles, still holding the other girl's hand.

"yeah, hayley." josh narrows his eyes at her but doesn't stop the way his lips are turned up into a tiny smile.

"i am nice! in fact, i am so nice that i am going to invite tyler to go to that concert with us next weekend." she turns to me, "tyler, would you like to go?"

what?!

"me? oh, i-i wouldn't want to intrude-"

"you wouldn't be! we're friends. we have an extra ticket anyway. taylor's brother was supposed to come but he canceled. i mean, it's not like josh is gonna bring anyone," hayley says.

my brain is going a thousand miles a minute and my heart is beating even faster.

if he wasn't before, josh is definitely blushing now. he puts his hands over his face. "jesus christ, hayley," he mumbles.

"i-i wouldn't want josh to feel weird about it or anything since-"

i'm interrupted again, by josh this time. "what? oh, no. tyler, if you want to go, don't miss out on my account," he says.

"yay! so it's decided. taylor and i can ride together and you can ride with josh since you're neighbors. it'll be fun!" hayley beams, excited about the new plan.

"o-okay." i try to keep my small smile on and not fall to the floor in a puddle of twenty different emotions. "um, well, anyway, did you guys want anything to eat?"

"oh! yes, we did! sorry."

i shrug. "it's okay. it's not like we're super busy or anything."

the three of them order and then walk away to a table. as soon as they're no longer in front of me, it takes everything in me not to go scream in the walk-in freezer.