48

tyler's point of view

when i show up to school in the morning and sit down at our table, sydney claps for me.

"there's my little slut! it's so good to see you, ty-ty! any new developments for us this morning?"

"i'm scared for the answer," emily says, putting her phone down to give me her attention regardless.

"actually, we, um... had phone sex last night," i try to speak quietly.

sydney doesn't try.

"tyler! how was it?!" she asks, reaching over to slap my arm playfully.

"another thing to poison my brain. i have to see this man in person in a few hours."

my phone buzzes before i can reply to either of them.

"it's him, isn't it?" sydney's knowing look resurfaces, close lipped smile and narrowed eyes.

i check my phone and feel my heart warm. i look back up to sydney and pretend not to feel it. "he just said good morning and he hopes the first part of my day goes well."

"that's so sweet. you guys are like actually in love," emily says, previous mock-disgust gone and replaced with a genuine smile.

we talk until the bell rings and go about our days, meeting again at lunch. while sydney is talking about some boy she used to talk to, i decide to check my email.

i've been refreshing it all day, hoping to see an email from the college i'd applied to.

and then i do.

i open the email immediately and almost drop my phone.

"i got in," i say it quietly, partially to myself. they hear it nonetheless.

"see! i told you!" emily pulls me into a side hug, proud smile on her face.

"shit, i guess i should check mine. i didn't even think to look yet." sydney scrambles to find her phone, which was in her coat pocket.

emily and i wait with bated breath as she opens her email.

"guys..." sydney's hand comes up to cover her mouth.

"did you-"

"yes!" she stands to come around the table and hug me tightly. "thank god. i really didn't wanna have to do that alone. now i have someone to cheat off of." she laughs when she pulls away. "i'm kidding. kind of."

"i am so happy for you guys," emily says. i can tell she's fighting back tears, happy for us but sad at the realization that we won't be going to the same places.

it's a relief to not have to worry anymore, but it's a big adjustment and it's an intimidating thought.

after a couple minutes of celebrating, i gather up our trash and stand from the table.

"i'm gonna throw this away and go tell josh." i look to emily. "i'll see you in few?"

"sounds good, lovebird."

i ignore her lighthearted teasing, too excited about the news to try and think of a reply.

the door is halfway opened when i get to josh's room, but i still knock twice before walking in.

he looks up from a book he was reading. "hey, tyler. extra early today, huh?" he smiles at me, warm and comforting.

"yeah, i hope that's okay. i just came to tell you i just got my acceptance email." i stand in front of his desk and try not to jump over it to hug him.