30

tyler's point of view

i balance my phone on my dresser and take a few steps back. "are you guys sure i look okay?"

"it's a t-shirt and jeans, it's hard to not look okay," emily says.

"you look great, babe. don't worry," sydney adds. "it's a concert. if you showed up too dressed up, it would be weird."

"okay, okay. cool." i take a deep breath. "i am so nervous."

"don't be! just have fun," sydney tells me. "you got this!"

"i believe in you!"

"thanks, you guys. i love you." i pick my phone up and then hear a knock on my door. "holy shit. okay. i've gotta go."

"details as soon as you get home!" is the last thing sydney says before i hang up.

i take another deep breath and double check i've got everything i need, then open the door.

josh stands on the other side in a plain black t-shirt, meaning i can see most of his arm tattoo.

he is so fucking cool and god, he is so hot.

"hey, you ready to go?" he smiles at me, his keys in his hands.

"yeah," i answer. "i haven't been to a concert in forever." i can't help but return the smile, turning around to lock my door behind me.

we walk to his car and he opens the door for me, which stains my cheeks pink in record time. once he gets in, i can smell his cologne surrounding me and i think i might die.

"i'm sure it'll be fun," he says, starting the car.

he turns the radio on at a low volume and pulls out of his parking space. i try not to stare at his arms as he does so.

"i, um, i don't know if i've mentioned it before, but i really like your tattoo," i tell him. surely complimenting it will give me a pass to stare at it just a little.

"oh, thank you. i kinda forget about it sometimes." he laughs and man, i could listen to it forever.

"well, i think it suits you." i move my gaze up to his face and maybe i don't actually care if i'm staring a little bit.

"thank you," he glances over at with a small smile.

"thank you for letting me tag along," i say, changing the subject before i explode.

"nah. i mean, we're friends, i think, in our own way. i don't know how often you and hayley talk, but she always says you're cool and funny and stuff."

"i'm one of the cool kids now, huh?"

"pft, we weren't cool in high-school or college. don't let hayley's extroverted qualities fool you." he shakes his head but he's still got a smile on his face.

"well, i think you're cool, if that helps."

i stare at him for just another moment, the way crow's feet appear by his eyes when he smiles, the way the streetlights reflect on his face.

he laughs again. "i appreciate that."

we settle into a comfortable silence, the radio taking the place of our conversation. the drive doesn't take much longer and then we're pulling into a parking spot next to hayley and taylor.

"boys!" hayley holds her arms up and hugs josh first, then me.

"hey, good to see you both," taylor says, standing behind her just a bit.