Chapter 3: A tour of the Pole

Bernard's POV:

I saw the elves gathering around the reindeer stables as Santa and Curtis got back from wherever they went. "A girl!" A few of the elves were whispering excitedly. Huh? I leaned against a pole smiling, watching the sleigh land and elves tend to the reindeer. Santa and Curtis got out, and to my surprise, a girl? What is she doing here? Nonetheless it is professional for me to congratulate Santa and Curtis on a safe flight back. I went to do so. Santa was excited to see me. "Ah! Bernard there you are." He said. "Santa, Curtis, nice to see you made it back safe and sound." I said. I then gestured towards the girl. "And uh...who's this?" I asked. "This is Emily. She is going to be helping you with your work." Santa said. "Oh...uhm...okay?" I said, a bit offended. "Well, Emily, I'm Bernard. It's nice to meet you." I said shaking her hand. "It's nice to meet you too." She said with a warm smile. Okay enough of this...I need to talk with Santa about this situation. Does he not think I can do my job well enough alone so he needed to ask a human girl for help?

"Santa, a word please?" I asked firmly. He nodded and we walked over to the sleigh to talk. "Who is she?" I asked him. "I already told you, she is here to help you with your work." "I appreciate the offer, but I thought I was doing fine on my own." "You are, but I think she will be able to help you with it and plus, she could keep you company while you both work." I was frustrated but I tried to keep it contained. "But Santa, she's a human!" I said while looking at her. "I know she is but just give her a chance okay? Plus, she is the same age as you in human years. She just might surprise you." Santa responded. I sighed and said, "Okay, if you say so."

We walked back over to them where Curtis was finishing up a conversation with another elf. "Bernard, why don't you give Emily a tour of the workshop? Curtis and I have a few things to check on." Santa said. "Okay. Follow me Emily." She walked alongside me as I started the tour. I showed her all of the jobs the elves did and how they did it. She was just smiling and would say a few words every so often. I mean I guess it is pretty cool getting to be a kid and come here. Well, I guess she isn't really a kid...but whatever...

Emily's POV:

Emily's POV:

I was so fascinated by everything in the workshop! I had no idea how much detail is put into even the tiniest toys for kids! It really is amazing what the elves can accomplish in just a short year! Next stop was the kitchen! I could smell it down the hall! When we walked in, elves were bustling around as they always do and the air smelled like gingerbread, chocolate and peppermint! It was very warm and cozy when we walked in! "This here is the kitchen. We make the best Christmas food you will ever eat here!" Bernard said. "Want some hot cocoa?" He asked. "I'd love some!" I said with a smile. "Judy! One cup of hot cocoa please!" Bernard said to a little girl elf with long brown hair. "Coming right up!" She said and then began making the cocoa. "So is the North Pole everything you've dreamed of and more?" Bernard asked inquisitively. "Absolutely. It's like a dream come true!" I said.

Bernard's POV:

Emily looked like she was having a good time. Soon enough, Judy brought the cocoa. "Now..." I started to tell Emily, "Prepare to be amazed!" I said dramatically. She rolled her eyes with a smile and then took a sip. Her eyes widened. "Wow! That is the best hot chocolate I've ever tasted in my life!" She said. "It tastes like if Christmas had a flavor." She said which made me chuckle. I'm glad she is enjoying her time here so far.

A while later...

"Okay now the end of the tour." I said. "Your room where you will be staying." I opened the door to the room where Emily would be staying and she gasped.

She walked around the room taking it all in and then turned to me and said, "I love it!" The room even had it's own fireplace

She walked around the room taking it all in and then turned to me and said, "I love it!" The room even had it's own fireplace. "See the presents over there? The elves got you clothes and other things to help with settling in." She thanked me for everything and then I left her alone to get some shut eye for the night. But before I left, I told her...

Emily's POV:

"Oh and by the way, when you show up for work tomorrow, wear something a bit more Christmassy." Bernard said looking me up and down. I forgot I had on not very Christmassy stuff. "Oh. Right. Will do." I said. "Good. Now get some shut eye and I'll see you at work tomorrow morning bright and early! Don't forget work starts at-" I cut him off. "8:30 sharp I know I know." I said smiling. He had already reminded me three times about it today. I'm not surprised though, he's the head elf of course! "Goodnight Emily." He said. "Goodnight!" I responded and then he closed the door behind him. Wow. I'm really here. I'm going to be living at the North Pole! I jumped onto the bed covered with pillows and breathed in and out deeply.

There was a bathroom just down the stairs from the bed area so I went to change into a pair of pajamas the elves left for me and then got ready for bed. I knew that I needed to set an alarm to be up earlier for work tomorrow so that I had time to shower and stuff. I set the alarm and then got under the covers. It was so peaceful with the fire crackling and I drifted off to sleep....