Chapter 8: It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas

Emily's POV:

December is finally here and Christmas music has started playing everywhere you go at the North Pole! We have still been very busy, but I have gotten used to the hustle and bustle around here now.

All the elves are busy preparing toys and when Bernard and I took our daily 2:00 stroll around the workshop, we saw a bunch of elves gathering in a hallway, a few elves were putting up a big sign. "What's that?" I asked Bernard. "Oh it's just the advertisement for the annual Christmas Dance. They come up with a new poster design every year and put it up at the beginning of December." Bernard said.

"Wow a Christmas Dance sounds fun, when is it?" I asked. "It's always the night of December 23rd, so the day before Christmas Eve. Everyone gets off of work early that day to get ready and then we have the dance until midnight." He said. "That sounds so fun!" I exclaimed. Bernard chuckled.

Judy the elf and I have become good friends now and tell each other everything. She has had a crush on Curtis the elf for many years now and has yet to make a move. Neither has Curtis, as I see him visit the kitchen often and having little conversations with Judy, but nothing more. Everyone knows that they have feelings for each other, though.

Judy told me that Curtis used to be a wrapping elf, but then got transferred to being the assistant head elf when Santa and Bernard saw how hard he was working. Judy has admired him even longer than when he had higher status and she wanted him to know that, but didn't know how to say it. "I know!" I told her, "You guys can go to the dance together, and then you can tell him how you feel then!" I said.

"Oh Emily, that's a great idea but I'm not sure he is going to ask me...anyway, how are things with you and Bernard?" She said smirking. My face went bright red. I think it's obvious we're a bit more than friends now and I may feel a little something for him but I don't think I could tell him. Doesn't mean I can't tell Judy all the juicy details! I've also told her about my parents too and she stood by my side the whole time.

"Well, I mean nothing has really happened lately, we've just talked and had our evening hot chocolate runs together after work. Oh! Did I tell you the time we held hands?" I asked her. "Yes, like a thousand! I think he definitely has feelings for you. Which would be a first, I haven't seen him with anyone other than Santa and Curtis before you arrived." Judy explained. That made me blush a bit and feel special. But I couldn't tell Bernard that...we have to stay just friends.

"Maybe Bernard will ask you to the dance!" Judy said. "That would definitely be something." I said, knowing it probably won't happen. Just then, Curtis burst open the kitchen doors and walked over to Judy. Woah, I've never seen Curtis this determined looking before. "Judy, I have an important question to ask you." He started, "Would you like to go to the Christmas dance with me?"

All the other elves in the kitchen gasped, including me. Judy took Curtis's hands and said, "I would be delighted." The elves in the kitchen all clapped and whooped. "I have to leave now, but I am really looking forward to it!" He said to Judy and exited the kitchen. I hugged Judy and we jumped up and down excitedly together. "I'm so happy for you Judy!" I told her. "I'm so happy too! Now I have something extra special to look forward to!" She said, her face still flushed from holding Curtis's hands earlier. "Now, to get you and Bernard to go together." She said with a wink. That's the harder part...