Chapter 9: The big question

Emily's POV:

Weeks had gone by and everyone and I mean EVERYONE was talking about the dance, you'd see elves asking each other to the dance all of the time. If Bernard and I saw it happen, we would clap for them  or cheer and then move on to whatever we were doing. It was getting closer to the big day of Christmas and you can feel it in the air! If I ever needed a break during work to just be by myself, I liked to visit the reindeer. I think they liked me too because whenever I showed up, they would prance around in their stables.

I especially liked to see Comet and Blitzen, as they were the reindeer that brought me here all of those months ago. They leaned against my hands every time I pet them. What I didn't know was that there was a big surprise coming for me.

Bernard's POV:

"I'm going to go visit the reindeer, I need a break." Em said. I nodded and she closed the door behind her. The room seemed so empty here without her, I can't believe I got used to being alone in this stuffy office without her for so long. Now, I can't ever focus on my work unless she's here. I think it's obvious we're more than friends...but are we really? Is Em having the strange feelings I have? Or maybe she is just being a good friend and I am being delusional. I knew what I needed to do. A few minutes later, I set off towards the reindeer stables.

I got there and she was petting the reindeer. At this moment particularly, she was petting Comet and Blitzen. They leaned against her hand at her touch. Now or never, I thought. I walked up to Em and tapped her on the shoulder. She smiled her pretty warm smile at me, I mean, uh...she just smiled at me. "Hey B." She said calmly, as to not spook the reindeer.

"Hey...uhm I have a question for you," I started. "What is it?" She asked curiously. I then just blurt it out. "Do you want to go to the dance with me? We can go as friends if you want but I needed to know." After that I took a deep breath in and out. That was hard. She just smiled at me and said, "I'd love to go with you Bernard." Which made me get tingles all over my body. "Okay then, I'm looking forward to it." I said professionally. She chuckled a bit and then continued petting the reindeer. "As will I." She said softly, still smiling.

Then the work bell rang for work to end for the day and Em said, "I'll see you for hot chocolate at 6!" And then took off running wherever she was going. The elves all appeared from their jobs talking and chattering excitedly, and I stood in the middle of the room as they all passed by me but all I could think about was that I got Em to go to the Christmas Dance with me. I smiled to myself and couldn't wait for the day.

Emily's POV:

I raced to the kitchen to tell Judy all about what had just happened, I knew she was off of work now so I just had to tell her! As I ran, a few elves said hello to me on the way, I said hello back but didn't stop until I reached the kitchen. "Judy!" I yelled, out of breath. She came running over holding two cookies in her hands, one for me and one for her. "Emily what happened?" She asked. "He did it. He actually did it." I said in between breaths. "Who did what?" Judy asked me. "Bernard asked me to the Christmas dance."