Chapter 16: Rescuing Em!

Emily's POV:

I heard the cave door open and saw Bernard rush in. "Bernard?" I whispered with my cold breath. It must have been hours I've been in here. I then didn't have the strength to stand up from the cold anymore and my legs gave out. Bernard rushed towards me and caught me before I hit the ground. He hugged me and pulled me close. "It's okay. I've got you...Oh Em, I'm so glad you're safe. You have no idea how worried I was about you." He kissed the top of my head as I shivered in his arms. "B-Bernard I'm so cold." I said softly. My lips were purple and my skin was probably a pale white. Curtis came up from behind us and felt my arm. "Bernard we need to get her back to the pole she's freezing." "Yeah no kidding." Bernard said seriously. "Here, wear this." He quickly took off his beanie and jacket and placed them on me. Bernard's jacket was warm like him and I instantaneously felt a little better. Bernard picked me up bridal style, and I leaned into him, closing my eyes and still trembling.

...

I woke up to find that I was back in my room with the fire going. It still smelled like peppermint. My hair was braided and tied with a red ribbon. Then I noticed Bernard. I sat up and saw that he was sitting on a stool sleeping by my bed. He yawned and then opened his eyes. I smiled at him. He rushed to me hugging me in the process. "Em, I'm so sorry. I was such a jerk to you." He broke from the hug and made eye contact with me. "Oh Em, I was so scared I lost you. You could have died. All I could think about all night was, I can't lose my Em. I meant none of the things that I said last night at the dance and the truth is...well I was scared. I didn't want anything to happen between us because you're my first real friend and also...I...Em, I'm in love with you." ♡

His face turned bright red and I kissed him on the cheek and said, "I'm in love with you too...and I forgive you." ♡ He held my face in his warm hands and kissed me on the lips and I kissed him back. "I've been waiting forever to do that you know." He said, smiling. "Me too." I said and then chuckled, patted on my bed and said, "Come and sit with me, I've missed you."