Chapter 12: The Christmas Dance: Part 2

Bernard's POV:
As Em and I were drinking our hot chocolate, Abby came over and started talking to Em. Then a bunch of elves passed by, winking and making kissy faces at me. This is so frustrating. I looked at them furiously and then they scurried off. The same thing happened again about 3 more times. UGH! Then Abby left.

Emily's POV:

Bernard and I finished up our hot cocoa just as 'Snowman' by Sia ended. It was about three to four songs ago we were dancing. Just then, 'Last Christmas' by Wham started playing and everyone started to slow dance again. "Let's go, B!" I said. I loved this song. It was one of my favorite Christmas songs. Bernard threw away his cup of hot cocoa and then we made our way to the dance floor again.

No one's POV:

Emily put her arms around his neck and he put his hands around her waist again and they just smiled, at each other, swaying to the music and Em leaning into him again. The elves sniggered at him and made more kissy faces to Bernard. Emily didn't notice, though. UGH! I CANNOT TAKE THIS ANYMORE! Bernard thought to himself. When the instrumental part came on, Emily just decided to ask him. "Bernard...can I ask you something?" "Sure. What's up?" He asked her, a bit coldly. "Are we...just friends or more than that?"

They stopped swaying and then just stood and faced each other. "I- I can't do this right now." Bernard said, panicking. "I need some fresh air." He said and then started to walk away quickly from Em. Em followed him swiftly. "Bernard wait! Please, was it something I said? I just wanted to know." She said. Then Bernard quickly turned around and yelled, "TRY TO UNDERSTAND THIS!"

 Then Bernard quickly turned around and yelled, "TRY TO UNDERSTAND THIS!"

The music stopped abruptly and the lights turned on. All of the elves stopped dancing to see what was going on. Em just stood there in shock. "We can't ever work, Em! You're a human I'm an elf! We're just friends so just leave me alone!" His loud voice boomed through the workshop. "Fine. If that's the way you feel, I will leave you alone. Goodbye Bernard." Em said, on the verge of tears. She ran out of the room running past Bernard. Bernard's eyes followed her and he so desperately wanted to stop her but it was too late. She was gone. What had he done?