Chapter 4: First day on the job

Emily's POV:

I woke up to the sound of jingle bells. Huh? I opened my eyes and realized it was the alarm clock the elves gave me. The sound to wake you up was jingle bells. I chuckled and remembered that this wasn't a dream. I smiled, got out of bed and made my way to the shower. I turned on the water and it immediately was warm, you didn't have to wait around or anything. Fancy! The shampoo and body wash was vanilla scented, my favorite! How did they know?

And then the face wash was peppermint scented! After I stepped out of the shower, I felt so clean! There was a fluffy forest green robe hanging on the door so I put that on and began to deal with my hair. There was a heat protectant that was also vanilla scented! Perfect! I put it in my hair and then got out the hairdryer that was under the sink. It was a gold one!

I dried my hair for about 7-10 minutes and then brushed it out. After that I walked upstairs to pick out an outfit for the day. I still think it's super weird wearing Christmas stuff in the middle of July but it's the North Pole! I finally decided on an outfit that was comfortable yet Christmassy. I put on my doc martens boots as well, I thought they added a bit of my personal flair. I put on mascara as well. I usually use it every day to highlight my longer lashes. I decided to just leave my hair down too, it was a pretty good hair day.

I left the room at about 8:00 because I wanted to make a good first impression on Bernard

I left the room at about 8:00 because I wanted to make a good first impression on Bernard. He seemed like he wanted to get things done, so I knew that getting there early would probably be good. Now, to remember where the head elf office is...oh! That's right!

Bernard's POV:

I woke up to my jingle bells alarm and got ready for the day. I got everything I needed from my bedroom to take to the office, in my brown satchel, just like every other day. Don't get me wrong, I loved working at the Pole and supervising the elves and Christmas processes, but it does get very, very repetitive. Doesn't matter! I have a job to go do and Emily! I forgot! Today is her first day basically being my assistant. I still didn't think I needed an assistant but maybe it would be helpful, who knows? I arrived at the office and she was already there waiting.

"You're here early." I said. "I know you said work started at 8:30 but I thought I'd leave my room at 8:00 to give me plenty of time to remember where your office was." She said. "Well, congratulations you found it." I said chuckling, and then I unlocked the door.

Emily's POV:

Bernard unlocked the door, "After you." He said. I went inside and the office was very cozy. There was a big desk and a smaller one a little ways away from that, and on the other side of the office there was a big red couch with blankets and by the couch was a fireplace. There was also a shelf of...Pita bread? "You really like your pita bread, huh?" I said smirking at him. He smiled and said, "Yeah."

I asked him where I should sit and what he planned on me doing

I asked him where I should sit and what he planned on me doing. "You can have the desk over there and I think maybe answering Santa's fan mail would be a huge help." He said. I set my stuff down by the smaller desk. "Santa's fan mail? Isn't he supposed to sign that himself?" I questioned. Bernard set his satchel of stuff down. "Well yes, but the big man is too busy for that kind of stuff, so I usually help him out and sign it for him. It's really easy, really. All you have to do is write and S and a C or a little note if the kid wrote a lot on the paper." Bernard explained.

"Sounds reasonable," I started. "So how do I get it?" "Oh. It comes through that chute over there." Bernard said, pointing. "Make sure to hit the button on there." I walked over to the chute and hit the button, letters spilling out as I did. "Whoa!" I exclaimed. "I've never seen so many letters in my life!" Bernard chuckled a bit and said, "This is stuff only sent in from last night and this morning." I put the letters on the desk, got a red pen, and began signing. I had been working on signing letters for about 30 minutes, listening to the fireplace crackle when my stomach started growling. How could I have forgotten to eat breakfast? Bernard noticed.

Bernard's POV:

I noticed her stomach growling, and knew that in all the excitement, she probably forgot to eat breakfast. I forgot too. "Hey, you didn't eat breakfast did you?" I asked. "No, I completely forgot." She said honestly, looking a little flustered. "It's alright, I forgot too. I'll ask Judy to bring us some cinnamon rolls and hot cocoa." I stated. I picked up the phone and dialed the number to call the kitchen. "Hi it's Bernard. Could you please send Judy with a few cinnamon rolls and some hot chocolate? Thanks." I then hung up the phone. "She'll be here in a few minutes." "Good, I'm starving." She said. I smirked and said, "I could tell." She chuckled a little and her cheeks got a little red. I smiled. Maybe having her around wasn't so bad...