16

I jumped the last few steps from the stairs and got between them.

'Sister! How did you do your test?!'

Arabella looked relieved. 'I think it went great, Lau. Thanks.'

'Yeah, sure. Can you come help me with my song please?'

She looked at my mom, but she nodded.

'Yes, let's go.' She followed me upstairs and I shut my door.

'Okay, let's make this very clear, if mom asks you about this morning again, your teacher was late and we went to Starbucks for a drink until your second period started, okay?'

She nodded quickly.

'I promise you Lauren, mom will never know about it!'

'Know about what?', mom said standing in the doorway.

I was really getting annoyed by Arabella. This was so stupid.

'No-no-nothing..' Arabella stuttered.

Ugh, she was only making things worse now.

'Mom, we have to tell you something.'

Mom sat down next to me on the bed.

'Tell me.' She sounded stern.

'I told you we went out this morning.'

'Yeah.'

'Well, I told you we got back before second period started.'

Mom nodded.

'Yeah, well, I lied. She got ten minutes late, but I told the teacher it was my fault so she didn't get sent out.'

Mom didn't look happy, at all, but this was way better than when I'd tell her the truth though.

'Arabella, you can give me your phone and you can get it back tomorrow night. You, young lady, are lost that thing for this week.'

'What? Why?!'

'Because you lied. In my face.'

Oh dear lord, never let her know what's happening now..

'You can't do that! I'll just go the mall and buy a new one.'

My mom looked at me with disbelief and she turned around before she walked out she said something.

'Yes, darling. That made me remind of this. You're grounded for a week.'

My jaw dropped. 'Mom, you got to be kidding me!'

Her face was all serious. If she was already this mad about lying about ten minutes late, I'm very lucky she doesn't know about my school years in Amsterdam.

'Phones on my desk within ten minutes. Every minute late is another day goodbye to your phone. Got it?'

We both nodded and she walked downstairs.

'Thanks for saving my ass, again.' Arabella mumbled.

'Yeah, I have to be in this house writing this song for Jessie anyways, so.'

'Still thanks, and I can't wait until it's next week!!'

I smiled at her. 'No problem, sister. And either can I. It's gonna be so much fun!'

Arabella walked to her own room and I continued working on the song.

I almost finished the first chorus when I heard my phone rang.

Shit shit shit.

I was cursing in my room way too hard. Saying words I'm really glad mom and dad didn't hear.

'What the hell, Laura?!'

'I-I forgot to give mom my phone!!'

I pressed the home button on my iPhone. 'A freaking hour ago!!'

Bella's face changed and I had almost tears falling from my eyes. I never cry of anything. Maybe only the first night when I got back here, but never like this.

My mom and dad rushed into my room. 'Lauren, Lauren, what's going on?!' My dad held me while I was crying.

'I-I f-f-forgot to gi-ve mom my ph--one...'

I heard my dad laughing. 'Seriously? I've never seen you cry and now I do it's because you have to give mom your phone?!'

I stopped crying and looked him in the eye. 'Dad, listen, I can't live without that thing for five minutes. Don't even mention two and a half month!' I cried onto his shoulder again and he rubbed my back.

'Then why didn't you bring me your phone earlier?' Mom asked.

'Because I forgot while I was writing the song and then my phone went off and then I remembered I had to...'

My mom sighed. 'It's okay, it happens. You're not losing your phone for so long but still for this week and you're still grounded. Okay?'

I nodded. 'Thank you mom, you're a lifesaver.' Yes, I said that to Demi Lovato. How cliché.

But at least, I wasn't separated from my phone for so long. I had really important phone calls to make with that thing and losing it was no option.