bear hugs [dream team]

Dream finds out that George is having a bad day, and does his very best to make it better.

Dream is just on his way back to his room from having been downstairs refilling his bottle when he hears it. A soft sound, barely there at all, seemingly coming from further down the hallway.

His eyebrows furrow in confusion as he walks closer to it, quickly deducing that it's coming from George's room. Maybe he's watching a movie, or talking to someone? But it doesn't really sound like either of those things.

Dream uses both hands to carefully set his tumbler down on the wooden floor before placing one ear to George's door and holding his breath to listen. It sounds almost like... sniffling? Could George be crying?

Dream frowns at the thought – George never cries. During all the years they've been friends he can count the number of times it has happened on just one hand and with very few fingers.

He places a hesitant palm on the handle and turns it slowly, opening the door just enough for him to be able to poke his head through. Please don't be crying, George.

But surely enough, standing over by the window is George, the hood of his hoodie up pulled over his hair and his cheeks rosy and wet with tears. He is covering his face slightly with his hands, crying into them to muffle the sound.

"George?" Dream voices quietly, almost afraid to step past the door sill. He's not used to seeing other people cry, let alone his best friend. What if he doesn't want Dream to come in?

rown eyes widen at the sound of his voice. "Oh–" George quickly tugs his sleeves down over his hands and uses them to wipe his tears. "Hey Dream. Sorry, I just–" he shakes his head lightly.

Dream doesn't feel so hesitant anymore. He can't just stand there while George looks so sad – he really, really wants to help him. He has to.

He opens the door a little more and walks straight over to his friend, hand reaching out to touch his arm. George gives him a small smile, but it doesn't quite reach his eyes.

"Hurting?" Dream asks, unsure of how else to put it. Maybe George is crying because something hurts, like his head or his tummy.

"Uhm," George wipes his nose before meeting his eyes again. "No, nothing's hurting. I uh, I'm just kind of having a bad day, I guess." His voice wavers ever so slightly as he says it.

Dream pouts. "George," is all he says before carefully placing his arms around him, and pulling him into a hug.

He can feel George lean into him immediately which he takes as a sign to hold him a little tighter. Small sniffles continue to sound from George, muffled in the fabric of Dream's shirt.

Gently, Dream rests his cheek on the other's head.

"It's okay, George," he says softly. "It's okay to feel upset sometimes. Not all days can be happy."