sunset picnic [dnf]

[part 2 of last chapter]

tw: mentions of crying, mentions of death

~

Dream looked himself over in his black full-length mirror he kept in his room. He had been crying for the past two hours, and it was evident on his face. He walked back over to his bed and gently sat down, taking a shaky inhale as he looked towards the spot Patches would usually lay. He sniffed and ran his hands down his face.

Now wasn't the time to cry over his dead cat. Now was the time to figure out what the hell he was going to wear to his date with George.

He could always go in what he went to school in, but that felt basic. Some basic jeans and a white t-shirt? He could do better than that.

He rummaged around his closet until he found something that satisfied his needs. It was simple yet fashionable—baggy black jeans with rips littered here and there that were cuffed at the bottom, an oversized white t-shirt with a dumb black smiley face across the front that George had stolen from him countless times, a plentiful of rings, one of which George had gifted to him for his birthday one year, a pair of black earrings he had stolen from his sister, and a pair of black combat boots.

Simple yet stylish. Perfect.

He grabbed his phone and left his house, hopping in his car and pulling out of the driveway. Him and George had ultimately decided to meet at George's house. On his way there, he texted him, telling him to be ready in 10 and that he was on his way to pick him up.

10 minutes of driving later, and Dream was in front of the other males house. George had been waiting by the curb and immediately got into the passengers seat, smiling at the dirty blond. Dream smiled back. "Where do you wanna eat, love?" He questioned, driving away from his boyfriends house.

"Wendy's?" George suggested after a moment of contemplation.

"You want the usual I presume?"

George nodded in response. "Wait," He started. "You brought the blanket, right?"

"Of course I did! God you sound so accusing, George," Dream laughed to himself, plugging up his phone to the bluetooth in the car and handing it to George. "You pick."

George chose the song 505 by Arctic Monkeys and set the playlist to shuffle. The two boys screamed the lyrics of the song as they basked in each others company.

After Dream ordered and obtained their food, he headed to the field—a flower field to be precise. They walked over to a grassier part of the field, laying out the blanket and taking their seats. After sitting, George rummaged through the bag of food and pulled out all of its contents.

They sat and ate peacefully, casual banter floating between the two as the sun started slowly retreating to the hills beyond, making space to give new life to the moon that was soon to come.

"So," George started, wiping his hands and taking a sip of his sweet tea. "You don't have to tell me if you don't want to but-," He paused, unsure of it he wanted to continue. "You were crying earlier."

Dream could feel every muscle in his body tense as he awaited the inevitable next words to fall from the brits mouth.

"Why were you crying, Dream?" George shot a worried look over to the other.

Dream's next exhale came out shaky. "My um- so you know my cat Patches?" He spoke quick, grip on the blanket underneath him tightening.

"Yeah-," Realization struck George like lightening. "Oh no..."

All Dream could do was nod.

"Oh my god, Dream, I'm so sorry," His words were spoken genuinely as he positioned himself closer to Dream on the blanket. He reached up to cup Dream's cheek, lightly tracing his face with his thumb.

"Hey George?" Dream asked after a moment of silence, a small smile tugging at his lips.

"Yes, Dream?" His voice was soft and soothing.

"I love you," Dream spoke just above a whisper.

George smiled and reached up to connect their lips. "I love you too, Dream," George replied after breaking the loving kiss.

The sun was closer to the hills and the moon was climbing higher and higher into the sky. The two spent the rest of the evening there, not leaving until the moon was fully in blossom and the stars spread across the black sky.

Before they left, they stood in front of Dream's car, holding each other close and enjoying the last moments of the day they would share together. It was all smiles, giggles, and kisses.

The perfect comfort Dream needed.

_________________________

760 Words