Recount and rebound [knf]

Tw: derealization, suicidal ideation, mentions of medication, bad mental health, suicide mentions

Content: angst/fluff

This is the second part (and ending) of the previous oneshot.

George felt it, but only for a moment. He felt the exhilaration, the heart stopping, the fear that came with almost falling to your death. He was so close he practically felt it—but his second foot couldn't make it past the railing. He was pulled back by his wrist, jerking his body back in the other direction, changing the momentum of his falling completely. It hurt how fast his body moved, but he couldn't focus on that as he tumbled back down from the railing, safely still on the overpass.

He tumbled backwards, bumping into someone, presumably his mystery saviour. He would have fallen backwards if he wasn't caught in their arms, his back against their chest. George quickly regained his balance, standing up properly to whip around and see the person who stopped his death. It was him, who else would it have been?

"Karl?" George croaked, his throat feeling strained. He looked upon the other; seeing the stained tears on Karl's cheeks. The feeling struck an emotion in George, like his entire world was crashing down. His heart stung, he was stabbed in the chest. He caused that?

Karl said nothing, going over to wrap his arms around George. He buried his head into the other's shoulder, holding him tightly as if he'd never let him go. George was terrified of the damage he'd caused, unsure what to say. He carefully wrapped his hands around Karl as well. The two stayed like that for a moment, no words being exchanged, but the emotions being prevalent.

After a bit, Karl parted from the other first, despite the clear hesitation in his action. He looked at George with a serious, cold gaze. "We're going home. Now. Do not try to fight me on this."

George glanced back at the overpass, the railing, the temptation...still so close to him. He glanced at Karl again.

Karl won. He did everytime.

George nodded solemnly. Karl intertwined their hands, guiding them off the overpass and down the street. George spotted Karl's vehicle at the side of the road, parked in a rushed manner, as if Karl attempted to get out of the car as fast as possible to run and make it to him in time. He gulped, acknowledging mentally that he probably traumatized Karl with this experience. He wanted to take it all back, preventing the other from hurting by his hands ever again, but he knew that was an impossible wish.

Karl dragged George to the passengers seat, opening the door for him and parting their hands. He sat down without a fight, but Karl wasn't finished yet, he buckled George's seatbelt up for him, tightening it to ensure max safety. He shut the door gently, heading around to the driver seat.

George would blush at the protectiveness if it weren't for the circumstances. He glanced down at his hand, counting quickly. Five fingers. He clenched his fist, hoping to anything out there that he miscounted. He knew he didn't.

Karl sat down in his seat, buckling himself up and starting the car. He drove without a single word, hands gripped to the steering wheel and eyes glued to the road. George stared at the other discreetly; the other looked too pale, too...void of emotion. He knew Karl was trying to keep it together, at least until they both made it safely back home. George's heart ached, he felt so guilty, but he didn't have the courage to speak up and apologize. The eerie silence in the air the entire drive home was too intimidating for him.

They pulled up into the driveway, the car being parked. There still were no words between them, getting out of the car silently and entering the house. The door was shut behind George, the two sliding off their shoes and walking into the main room.