Chapter 7

*Josh's POV*

I don't know what happened. When I went to talk with her, it was like I couldn't quite face her yet. But, I mean, I didn't want to seem as if I called her out just to look at the creek.

I found it so difficult to look her in the eyes as I kept losing my focus. But the more heated our conversation became, the more frustrated I got.

It's like she doesn't even seem to care at all!

'But wow... that whole conversation almost blew up in my face. Geez, why is she so on edge? I honestly don't get women sometimes...' I thought as I walked back to the site.

As I anxiously walked toward the location where I am to be initiated, I contemplated everything that went on with my family: all the laughter, the fun times, the inside jokes...

At that moment I started to have second thoughts about leaving my family, but even as I contemplated all the good times, I was reminded even more of all the bad that went on. The backstabbing, betraying, manipulating, cheating, things they have done to me and to each other...not to mention...

No... I can't think about her now. That would only make me sad...

This is a proud moment.

*Selena's POV*

Night soon came as all the tents and such were already set up. Each of the initiates were given a knife as we walked to the place where the initiation was to take place. Every pack member gathered around in the open field in a large circle around Alpha Jordan and the 4 initiates. Everyone was dressed in white as always for these occasions. As soon as the last person took their place, Alpha Jordan began to speak.

"This is a special occasion, not just because we are welcoming new members into our pack, but for another reason. Unlike normally, we are inducting four wolves into our pack instead of just one. These initiates have undergone the training and teachings necessary to become a part of our pack and are now ready to join us as family."

A nearby wolf walks up to Alpha Jordan with a cloth covered object.

"But first, we must sever old connections," he said. 

Reaching for the, object, he removes the cloth, revealing  a six inch, cylindrical object.  He puts the object to the base of the skull. Essentially, it releases a focused beam to destroy the previous MindLink. It essentially vaporizes it, allowing the material to dissolve.  As he reaches the last initiate, everyone claps twice in sync. 

The wolf takes the object from Alpha Jordan and hands him a smaller object with a needle. Quickly, he puts the object to the base of the neck and clicks a button. Essentially, it pricks the skin, shooting the MindLink to the base of the neck. It causes minor bleeding, but quickly heals. After he finishes, he stands before the initiates again.

"Now that our minds have been connected, we must now connect our souls. Here's to forging anew," he said.

Pulling a knife from his side, Alpha Jordan quickly sliced across his palm. One by one, each initiate followed, cutting into their palm and letting a few drops of blood fall to the ground. As soon as the last one dropped his blood to the ground, Alpha Jordan held out his cut palm to each of the initiates as they one by one broke the bond to their old pack and was reconnected to our pack. 

It is a relatively painful process for a werewolf to endure. I've heard it feels like a part of you is being forcibly ripped and forged into a new place. As wolves are detached from their old pack, it wasn't uncommon to hear stifled screams escape. Once you are connected though, it also takes you a while to cope with being connected to a new pack.

At this point, everyone was now inducted except for Josh. As the Alpha stopped in front of him, he grabbed Alpha Jordan's hand. However, the moment Josh's hand made contact, his entire body tensed up. When the other initiates joined the pack, it wasn't quite so stressed. But when Josh was being bonded... I don't know.

It was like I could feel the tension of him being reconnected. For some reason, it was harder for him to connect than anyone else. I could tell he was holding back his pain as much as he could, but soon he couldn't hold it back anymore as he let out an agonizing scream. I gasped as I saw him slump to the ground.

Fortunately, after a while, he finally stood back up. However, I could tell he was very weak from the bonding process. I outwardly winced.

'I could only imagine what kind of pain he just went through.'

*Josh's POV*

I made my way to the center of the clearing, side by side with my fellow initiates, and soon to be family. This choice I was about to make was not to be taken lightly. This is a test of loyalty. This is a second chance to prove myself that I can be different. This moment, right here right now, is the single most important decision I have ever made in my life. And no matter what my family thinks or what anyone thinks, I believe that this is the right thing to do.

Each initiate cut into the palm of their hand with the knife we were handed earlier. I watched him go down the row. First Nick Johnson, then his mate Erica. Next it was Tyler's turn. Each did what the previous had done. Each had experienced some measure of pain as displayed on their faces. The pain wasn't what was going to hurt me. I could handle that... or so I thought.

I cut into my hand, and placed my hand in Alpha Jordan's. That is when the pain began.

I had never felt anything so painful in all my life, both physically and emotionally. I vividly remembered anything and everything that had ever been done to me as if it had just happened all over again. Every time my father abused me physically and mentally, it now resurfaced as if it was happening again.

The pain of rejection from members of my family, my own brother hating me, the betrayal of my cousin Aaron: every single memory tied to my pack came rushing to my mind at a blinding speed. It was dizzying and nauseating. It felt like my head was pounding with intense pressure. An agonizing cry escaped me, despite all efforts to hold it all in. The pain was almost overwhelming. Just when I thought I couldn't take it anymore, everything went dark.

* * *

I forced myself up. My muscles were shaking. I was in so much pain, but I grit my teeth and attempted to stand tall. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the ceremony was over. The pack members went to their separate tents for the night while we, as initiates, went to sleep separately for one last time. Tonight, we may have been initiates, but tomorrow will be our first day as pack members.

I was in too much pain to be excited about finally being a part of the pack. All the new voices in my mind made my head spin. It felt like I was walking on a rocking boat, unable to stand straight as I began to wobble from side to side. I trailed behind the other initiates. 

As soon as I was certain that Selena was out of range, I collapsed on the ground. I could hardly move anymore. My vision was blurring in and out. I could faintly hear Tyler utter something as he pulled me up. He draped my arm over his shoulder, but I could barely even try to move my legs. Last thing I remember is vaguely hearing Tyler ask "Are you ok?" before I blacked out completely.