Chapter 30

*Josh POV*

It was hard to believe how incredibly long this day had been. Moments before, I had just left the hospital and now I am in one of the beds in the pack house. I couldn't sleep. How could I? All I could think about is Selena and how I wanted to go after her right at this moment.

However, I knew that I would only put the rest of the pack in danger if I decided to go off on my own now. There were more lives in danger than just Selena and Luna Amy's. No matter how much I hated it, I had to wait.

One thing's for sure, I can't go back to sleep now...

Sitting up in my bed, I removed the covers and made my way to the door. The only other light in the building was the moon and a small side table lamp in the room across from mine. Slowly, I made my way down the otherwise darkened hallway towards the kitchen.

Soon, the hallway began to widen into the room, letting me know that I was nearing the kitchen area. I slowly made my way to one of the tables when a voice called out through the darkness.

"So, you couldn't sleep either?"

Turning my head in the direction of the voice, I saw the faint silhouette of Jake sitting at the kitchen bar.

"Not really." I responded gruffly. 

Standing up, Jake slowly made his way toward me. Upon walking closer, the moonlight from outside seemed to illuminate his face more, revealing that he had to have been awake way longer than I have. 

 Due to the long restless hours, a five o'clock shadow now darkened his usually clean shaven face, not to mention the dark circles forming beneath his red eyes.

"You... really care about her, don't you?" I questioned.

Taken aback, he responded, "Of course! If it were up to me, she would already be back here, safe."

"I agree," I looked off. 

"Look, I don't know if you are concerned because of the mate bond, or because you genuinely care, but I made a promise to myself that nothing bad would ever happen to her again."

"Again?" I questioned, "Did something happen before?"

Before Jake had a chance to even respond, we both turned our heads to a few voices in the distance. Soon, those voices came through the front door.

"What do you mean?"  a gruff, male voice resounded.

"Oh no, please tell me she's alright!" a female voice followed, a little more frantic than the male.

"We have plans to go after her and Amy in a few hours. We will get them back safely." I recognized Alpha Jordan's voice, "Currently, we have two scouts tracking down the path they were taken."

"Good. We don't have much time then," the male's voice replied. 

It seemed that the voices were getting closer as the footsteps became louder and louder until-

"Jake!" The female exclaimed, "What are you doing up this late, hon?

"I couldn't sleep, Mrs. Cooper..." Jake shrugged.