Chapter 13

*Josh POV*

After we finished eating, we all got up. As Selena and Jake started to leave, I pulled Tyler back for a moment.

"Hey, don't we need to go see Alpha Jordan now that I am out of the hospital?"

"Well, you do. But, I'll go with you because there are some things I need to ask him anyway," He responded.

"Ok, thanks."

"No problem, man. See you there."

As we walked out of the diner, I saw Selena talking with Jake. I averted my eyes and walked over to the car. However, I couldn't resist looking again, so I looked back towards her. She was hugging Jake when she made eye contact with me. I felt like my heart and all of time stood still in that moment. 

There was something so eerily familiar about this. This exact memory happened before, only, not with Selena. Forcing myself to look away, I vowed to press on and focus on the task at hand. Although, I couldn't ignore the ache in my heart. As I pulled out the picture that once kept me going in hard times, it now seems to hinder me.

"Brooke..." I lightly muttered, "I'm so sorry."

With a new resolve, I placed the picture back into my wallet, cranked up the car, and drove towards the pack house.

***

Upon arriving, both me and Tyler stepped out of our vehicles and towards the pack house. However, Alpha Jordan was already on his way out to meet us. He and Tyler talked for a moment about some things but I wasn't really paying attention. I couldn't get the scene of Jake and Selena out of my head. If I remember correctly, I also remember that she held his hands at the lake too. No matter how much I tried to shake off, the scene kept coming back to mind.

I was almost startled when I heard the Alpha address me, bringing me back to reality.

"How are you feeling, Josh?" He spoke with genuine concern.

"I'm feeling better," which was partly a lie. I still felt weak, but I intended to push myself to get over it.

"Good, good," He nodded, "You are welcome to continue to stay at the pack house anytime for as long as you like. But if you want it, we already have an apartment ready for you to stay in. The expenses are fully paid for."

I was completely shocked. The Alpha bought me an appartment? Just like that?

"And since I know you are still in high school, we have taken it upon ourselves to pay for the utilities as well, at least until you graduate."

Feeling speechless, my eyes widened in shock.

"Thank you so much, Alpha. I don't quite know what to say."

He chuckled a bit, "Well, it's yours. We take care of our own here."

Something I never had with my own family...

"So, it's settled then." He stated with finality as he started to walk off

I don't know what possessed me, but before I could realize what I was going to get myself into, my mouth had already voiced what was previously just a thought.

"Alpha Jordan, is there anything I could do? I was thinking, maybe I could be a help to secure the pack, or... just something to contribute as a thanks for accepting me and everything you have done."

He turned to face me, almost intrigued.

"Actually, there might be something you could do. Meet me here sometime tomorrow and we'll talk about it."