Chapter 18

*Josh POV*

(Flashback)

"Brooke? What are you doing here?" I asked.

"You're my mate. I've decided that I can't just be with someone who isn't." She said confidently.

I was worried. Beyond worried. This could have bad effects on our chances of making peace between my dad and his brother's pack.

"But what about you? You said you were being watched?"

"I don't care anymore!" She reached for my hands, catching me off-guard.

Suddenly, I began to hear footsteps approaching the house and knew exactly who it was.

"Brooke, go in the room down the hall. Let me deal with Aaron."

She started to shake her head, tears beginning to spill over.

Steadily becoming worried, I said lightly above a whisper, "Brooke, we don't have time! Go!"

Reluctantly, she did as I asked and went down the hallway just in time before Aaron practically plowed through my door.

"HOW COULD YOU!!!" Aaron yelled violently.

"I thought we understood each other! And you steal the girl I love?"

"She's my mate, Aaron. What am I supposed to do about that?" I pleaded.

Snapping back, he asserted bitterly, "You could have let her choose. You should have given her a choice!"

At that moment, Brooke walked out from the room.

'Dang it, I told her to hide!'

"YOU!" Aaron's rage intensified.

"How could you leave me for THIS disgrace of a traitor!" he shouted, pointing towards me with intentional hostility.

Now, I was in shock.

"Me, a traitor? You are the one who left with Gavin. We needed you, and you deserted us!" I exclaimed.

"That's not how I see it. Not at all." He stated in a slow, menacing voice.

Even though I'm an Alpha, the tone of his voice would have been enough to make even someone like me cower. Suddenly, he looked towards Brooke in a way that I didn't like at all.

"I'll be back for you. Hopefully, you will have come to your senses by then!"

Storming out of the room, he slammed the door as hard as he could, causing some picture frames to fall off the wall. I looked over to Brooke whose eyes were full of tears.

"He won't stop, Josh. Not until you're dead."

(End of Flashback)

Tossing and turning all night, I was haunted by past memories of Brooke and Aaron. I hardly got any sleep.

I awoke with a start as I began to experience the same extreme pressure in my chest I felt a few days ago when leaving the pack house. I could hardly breathe and the pain was more intense this time than it was last time.

After what seemed like an eternity, the pain finally subsided. When I was able to focus again, I realized that it was only 5 am. Sighing, I ran my hands through my hair and laid back down onto the bed.

'The nightmares never stop, no matter where I go,' I lamented.

***

I couldn't tell you what happened at school today. I was so distracted and tired. I didn't feel like talking or doing much of anything. If I were honest with myself, I felt kind of weakened after the pain I felt this morning. Of course being as stubborn as I am, I wouldn't dare admit it. Consequently, I headed straight home after school to rest a little bit.