Chapter 2

*Josh POV*

I don't want to be here at school today. I really shouldn't have to be, but I need to graduate from high school. I'm 20 already, and you can only skip so much school before you have to resort to getting a GED...

My mind wandered as I roamed aimlessly towards my locker. Once I was standing at my locker, I smelled something I hadn't smelled in 2 years.

'No, it's impossible' I thought. As the smell got closer, the scent was apparent.

'Cherry blossom..' I looked around. I knew exactly who it was.

"Brooke," I said aloud and started running towards the smell. I was happy - no, ecstatic! She's here!!! As I got closer, I stared into the eyes of a girl I did not recognize.

'What? Who is that?' I thought. Deep sadness and disappointment hit me, but they were soon replaced with anger. I continued to run straight past the girl and darted for the door that led outside. I knew I shouldn't have come to school today. There's no way I'd consider anyone else...

*Selena POV*

Since I basically missed all of school the day before, I just never went. So I guess this Tuesday was technically my first day of school. 

Honestly, it wasn't the school that I was excited for. I was really just excited to see my best friend Nicole!

Nicole Smith has been my best friend since the 5th grade. She's a werewolf too, but she's not a part of my pack.

Our packs are like sister packs. Basically, we are very close with her pack, and the only reason why we don't combine packs is because her dad is the Alpha. If we became one pack, we could only have one Alpha. And, as you could probably imagine, it would cause potential problems that none of us really want to deal with.

I finally walked through the doors of the school, scanning the crowds for my best friend and then I smelled the most indescribable smell. Although I couldn't put words to it, I knew exactly what it was. 

It was my mate. 

My eyes quickly scanned the hall searching for him, but I didn't have to look long. He was running straight towards me.

'Oh! He must be excited to meet me!' I thought excitedly.

I smiled at him as I waited for him to approach. Although he was running with his head down, I noticed a slight smile on his face which made me feel butterflies. When he got closer, our eyes met for a split second. However, his expression quickly changed. Without breaking his stride, he continued to run straight past me and out the door of the school. 

Confused, I slowly turned and watched him escape from my sight. I didn't even get the chance to get a good look at him, much less say a simple "Hi". 

My mind was trying to find some logical explanation, but I couldn't think straight. I had no choice but to continue down the hall to look for my friend, hoping no one saw what just happened. She instantly attacked me as soon as I turned back around.

"Lee!!!" She squealed as she flung her arms around my neck.

"Nicki" I mumbled into her shoulder.

"Sorry," she said as she released me from her death grip, "I missed you so much!!!"

"So have I!!" I smiled.

"Did I miss something?" Jake chimed in as he came up behind Nicole.

I shook my head, "Nope, just me being smothered by Nicole!"

For a split second, I thought I saw a flicker of doubt in his eyes. He smiled anyway, to my relief.

"Really Nicole, you could have killed her." 

His comment caused us all chuckled as we turned to walk to our first period class.

Taking my seat, I began to reflect on what had just happened moments before. I felt like I should tell Nicole about what happened this morning, but I decided against it, thinking it would be best to keep it to myself for the time being. 

I definitely can't tell Jake about it because he would hunt the guy down. But the more I thought about it, the more I began to doubt myself.

Maybe I was wrong? Maybe I misread the scent?

'No, that had to be him' I felt my inner wolf was emotionally drained, but I tried to push those feelings down. There has to be some reason behind him running off like that!

"Hellooooo!" Jake waved his hand in my face.

"Huh?" I questioned.

"Did you even hear a word I said?"

"No, I'm sorry. I was just day dreaming."

He opened his mouth to speak again, but the bell rang.

"Alright class, quiet down." The teacher said as class began.

*Jake POV*

Sitting in my desk I began getting my English books, preparing for class. Looking to my right Selena sat down in her desk while Nicole took her place in the desk in front of me.

"I love English class," Nicole sighed.

I scoffed, "Of course you would."

Nicole flashed me a quick look as I chuckled at her response.

Thinking it best to ignore the fury in Nicole's eyes, I turned my attention to Selena.

"Hey, lee. So what about you and I go hang out today after school? I'll probably need some help with homework anyways" I said, raising my eye brows teasingly. She was still looking off, not phased.

"Selena?" I called. Still no response.

"Helloooooo?" I waved my hand in front of her face and she finally snapped out of it.

"Huh?" she questioned.

"Did you even hear a word I said?"

"No, I'm sorry. I was just day dreaming." She responded.

I opened my mouth to repeat myself, but the bell cut me off.

"Alright class, quiet down." The teacher said as class began.

'There is something up with Selena. She's never usually that quiet.' I tried to read her mind, seeing as how she is obviously thinking about something but I was surprised there was a block.

'That's weird. She never has a block up...not from me at least.' I thought concerned.

'Something has to be bothering her, and I have to find out what.'