Chapter 9: Side Effects

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston, Massachusetts.

JAEMIN

I stopped as soon as I saw Professor Larsen up close from two stairs above his position. Intently, I reviewed his surroundings and saw him knocking on a door with a sign above it, spelling "System & Control room." Immediately, I took out my phone and snapped a photo of the moment. Yet, Jeno's steps captured my attention, causing me to get distracted and miss Larsen's moves. – He stepped backward, looking confused and alarmed.

"It's over!" I thought.

My eyes grew after seeing Professor Larsen's reaction. Yet, Jeno acted quickly; he grabbed my hand and immediately took us out of the emergency stairs. Fortunately, we went through another door, and after looking around, I realized we were at the parking area within the building.

-You almost got caught! – Jeno earnestly scolded me, causing me to look at him, surprised.

-You ran loudly toward me! So, it is your fault too. – I pointed out, upset.

-I wouldn't have done such a thing if you had listened to me! – Jeno stated while looking at me in disbelief.

-I told you I had everything under control, but you decided to stay. So, don't try to blame everything on me! – I angrily told Jeno.

-You acted recklessly! So, undoubtedly, you are at fault! – Jeno soberly expressed.

After Jeno spoke, I stood silent upon hearing people talking nearby. Soon, Jeno noticed the same noise; hence, we moved to the side and hid behind the closest wall. Yet, we weren't well hidden, and when we realized the current situation the door opened.

I looked beside me, peeking through the wall cautiously. Then, I saw people speaking: Larsen and someone else. That person is giving us their back; hence, it's hard to identify Larsen's colleague.

-Thanks for the job. I'll send you half of the payment once I get the money. – Larsen told the mysterious person.

-Thanks, Sir. I'll wait for further instructions. – I heard the person's voice.

-It's a student. – I deduced by his voice and told Jeno before glancing at him.

-Give me your phone. – Jeno told me.

-Why? – I asked, confused.

-It's the quickest to grab. So, hand it over! – Jeno ordered.

I rolled my eyes and gave my phone to Jeno. Immediately, he started to take pictures of Professor Larsen and the mysterious student. – I didn't realize Jeno's position until seeing the angle he has to take the perfect shot. He's before me, standing close but still, leaving space between us to move freely.