Chapter 11: Unheard Stories

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston, Massachusetts.

Moments later. – At Jeno's place.

LEE JENO

I returned home after an exhausting day. Immediately, I rested on the living area's couch, turned some music on, and tried to relax. – My heart continued beating fast, making me feel; slight anxiousness and concern. After all, these effects only come to me after speaking to Jaemin. – As much as I tried, I couldn't calm my tense body; hence, I stood up and took a cold shower. Later, I began to do my class tasks only to keep my mind busy.

Currently, I'm reading a law code while walking around the room. Oddly enough, I couldn't understand a word. My head continued to be in a trance regardless of my efforts to put my mind off Jaemin. – I never cared about someone so much; it is new to me. It emerges like something unknown that irritates me. After all, I'm used to knowing most things within my world. Or at least, that's what I thought until now.

—He's like a curse – I sighed before closing the book and sitting down on the bar stool.

I looked at the papers on the bar surface, and then my eyes focused on the laptop screen. Immediately, I minimized the windows and looked at the desktop. It has a picture of the criminology faculty in an important academic event. Jaemin is in the middle of the group photo, smiling while holding a diploma. – A subtle smile appeared on my face while glaring at the screen, but suddenly I looked away as I felt my heart pounding.

—Why did I tell you what you were to me? Indeed, you are my rival, but for all the good reasons – I ruefully said before placing my head on my hand resting on the surface.

I wasn't competitive or arrogant before. I didn't care about anything but to make my parents proud. Yet, reality hit and made me realize my family's importance in society. Therefore, I had to live up to my family's history. – I became petty, and my ego grew as high as the earth's atmosphere. Perhaps Jaemin doesn't want me because of those things that describe me best.

—Hopefully, I can make up to you, Jaemin – I murmured before closing my eyes, soon remembering Jaemin's lips on mine and the touch of his hands on me. The closeness I never knew I would need so desperately.

NA JAEMIN

I'm at my home, working on assignments as a way to keep my head busy. After considering it for a while, I deduced working was the only method that could help me to keep my head away from Jeno. – It's vexing. I must admit that I hurt myself after talking with Jeno. I said the thing I didn't want to, but my head told me to spit it out.

Currently, I'm resting in my bedroom, lying on the mattress while reflecting on the university's case. Suddenly, the phone started to blare the entire place, causing me to stand up and go to the living area. Eventually, I picked up the phone and answered.

—Hello?

—Mr. Na, Alice Wright is at the reception; she wants to meet you. Do I let her in? – The receptionist from the condo asked. Immediately, I frowned after hearing Alice's name but still answered.

—Let her in. Thank you.

I hung up the phone immediately, impatiently waiting for Alice to come to my floor and explain her sudden visit. – A minute passed, and almost immediately, knocks on the door made me jump and go to the entrance. I opened the door and saw Alice behind it. She's carrying a binder while looking at me, concerned.

—Alice, what are you doing here? – I asked, confused.

—I came to make amends. May I come in? – Alice questioned.

—Sure – I nodded before Alice entered the room, and then I closed the entrance door—. Did you say to make amends? – I questioned while walking behind her.

—Indeed – Alice said before taking a deep breath—. I was wrong; I had to be with you since the beginning. And now I realize how much importance you placed on the academy's case; hence, I hope you can forgive me for quarreling with you and hitting Jeno – Alice sincerely declared. Her words were like a symphony to my ears; they took a weight off my shoulders.

—I understand your worries. Now, I realize you only wanted the best for me, and I'm glad you trust me to continue with the case – I smiled at Alice before hugging her. Then, we looked at each other as we felt the tension between us fading—. Do you want coffee? – I asked while walking to the kitchen.

—Yes, thank you. Oh! I also have a gift for you; hopefully, it is a reasonable way to assist you – Alice said before placing the binder on the kitchen counter. I looked back at her after grabbing the dishes and towel. I placed it over my shoulder before approaching Alice and the binder.

—What is it? – I asked before opening it.

—Perhaps you'll find it helpful at some point. So, I wanted to give it to you. It is Professor Larsen's study group: a list of all the faculties he has given classes to during his years as a lecturer in our academy – Alice explained as I eyed the papers.

—How did you know about Professor Larsen? – I asked, confused.

—Renjun told me about it yesterday. He also suggested I speak with you as soon as possible since he became worried about you and the incident that transpired with Jeno - Alice confessed while looking worriedly at me.

—Thank you for this. I think it'll be helpful when we get more clues – I sincerely said before taking a deep breath. Shortly, I walked over to the coffee machine and began brewing it.

—Could you say a bit more about what happened with Jeno? – Alice asked, concerned.

—What do you want to know? That Lee Jeno played with me? Or what about this?! Did you know he saw me as his rival all along? – I began rambling, feeling upset while remembering what happened at the library—. All this time—I liked him, but he saw me as a competitor because of my 'skills.'

—Lee Jeno doesn't know how to praise somebody. Let alone confess his feeling to someone. He sucks at it! – Alice pointed out before I brought her the coffee in a cup. She took it and tasted the coffee. It appears she likes it.

—What do you mean?

—If Lee Jeno saw you as a 'rival,' he means that you are almost as good as him – Alice pointed out before snickering a tad—. He's arrogant, but when Jeno sees someone talented, he pushes himself to improve. Yet, when Jeno saw how skillful and clever you were—he didn't try to outshine you. Instead, Jeno admired you from afar – Alice revealed, leaving me speechless and more cluttered. My thoughts were everywhere.

—Then I should be thankful that Jeno saw me as a rival?

—Yes. That means Jeno knows your potential; perhaps that made him like you more than others. Honestly, he only talks to Haechan and—occasionally—to me. He has other friends, but I haven't seen them before – Alice described before patting my hand. I drank more coffee before frowning, shortly placing my cup aside and looking at my friend—. Didn't Jeno say he wanted to protect you against Chance Fletcher? He has his reasons for feeling that way. So, allow him to know you more and be there when you need him.

—I don't know, Alice. I feel scared. And I don't enjoy that feeling – I admitted, somewhat embarrassed.

—You are never scared, so it's new to hear you say that – Alice subtly chuckled before patting my hand—. Believe me this time, Jaemin. Lee Jeno isn't the arrogant and rich heir everyone says he is. He can be kind and understanding – Alice assured me while smiling fondly. I nodded at her words, attempting to grasp and trust everything she confessed.