Chapter 26: The Last Dispute

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston, Massachusetts.

JENO

The following day, first thing in the morning, wasn't anything Jaemin and I expected. The criminology faculty director, Mr. Hwang, greeted us. He quickly took us to the principal's office without further explanation. Yet, this moment was a long time coming; Jaemin and I knew the institute's superiors would want to discuss the leaked information case.

The principal began expressing her frustration since we sat before her desk. She continuously scolded us for our behavior and alleged reckless decisions, but she was the only one speaking. Mr. Hwang listened and looked uncomfortable; it seemed he wanted to object to his boss but stood silent regardless. Occasionally, I peeked at Jaemin, confirming he was calm about the situation. And fortunately, he was and appeared uninterested in the principal's opinion.

"You should've been precarious before jumping into this issue—focus on your studies instead of chasing a problem outside your capabilities," the principal soberly stated.

I frowned at her words, not agreeing with what she said—. "Mrs. Yon, we have the best scores in our faculties and generation. Furthermore, we finished our practices already; hence, we have the skills."

"Jeno is right. It isn't the first time we have had a hazardous case," Jaemin supported my statement, and soon, the principal sighed in disbelief.

"College practices aren't the same as real-life experiences. You would know the difference between both if you weren't inexperienced," the principal pointed out, sounding proud and determined.

I couldn't believe how high Mrs. Yon's pride was; she honestly thought she was correct, and I needed to inform her of the contrary. Yet, before saying anything, I glanced at Jaemin again and saw his piercing gaze on her.

"I've taken the stand for three different cases with my professors' aid, but still won them all with my skills and thorough research," I stated before analyzing Jaemin's expression; he was upset, maybe even offended by Mrs. Yon's words—. "And Na Jaemin. He won a case without anyone's help and didn't bend a knee when the situation worsened. He pulled through and sent a criminal to jail."

After the genuine and wholehearted speech, Jaemin looked back at me. His eyes were bright while his expression softened, and a subtle beam appeared on his lips. Yet, our attention returned to the principal after we heard her voice.

"It was a family difficulty. That doesn't count," Mrs. Yon dared to respond with disgust written on her expression and miscrediting Jaemin's complex experience. Immediately, my heartbeat fastened, and my blood boiled.