Chapter 24: Reviving Traumas

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Boston, Massachusetts.

NA JAEMIN

I was upstairs, listening to my parents arguing, yelling, and throwing stuff around. Glass shattering, wooden objects smashing against the walls, and my father's hand hitting the table. Often, the noise would stop after the first punching sound, but this time was different. My mother's cry filled the house and reached my ears. I had enough of this situation. I had to stand up and protect my mother before it was too late. Hence, I gathered courage, exited my room, and entered the kitchen. Immediately, I saw my mother, hands on the table, head down, and blood dripping from her mouth.

"Enough! You won't hurt her!" I shouted after seeing such a scene. Listlessly, I stood before my mother, covering her from my father.

"Jaemin, please, go to your room," my mother begged, crying and looking concerned.

"No! I won't leave you," I stated while looking at my father—. "You are a coward! A real man wouldn't hurt his wife," I exploded on my father, and my words made my mother shriek in fear. But she knew I was right—my father wasn't a man; he was an animal.

"Do you want to talk about men?! Then, what are you!? I know you've been seeing that lawyer guy," my father pointed out, causing my eyes to widen.

"What do you know?! You've never cared about this house and family. And what I do with my life is my problem," I furiously stated.

"How dare you talk to your father that way?!" My father raised his hand and punched my face. I endured his hit and didn't flinch; he felt challenged by my strength; thus, he continuously beat my face. When I finally fell, he didn't stop and kicked me. My mother attempted to stop him while crying and begging him for mercy. I can't remember more since I was lying on the floor with blood over my face.

My father disappeared that night and didn't return until the next day. I convinced my mother to turn him in while she cured my injuries. However, she was terrified to declare my father's behavior before the authorities; thus, I took the case and decided to make justice for her.

After my mother left, I took pictures of my wounds, recorded my declaration, and retrieved my father's DNA from the skin under my nails and the stuff he threw at my mother. Discretely, I gathered all the evidence I could and contacted an agent to help me with the case.

The exam season concluded, but I still had a final audience at the courthouse. I went there without my mother since she was in the psychiatric hospital already—my only support was Renjun and the agent who assisted me in the case. And after several months, I saw my father again. He was declared guilty of his crimes and got a sentence of twenty years; nonetheless, besides his irrational, physical arguments with my mother. Throughout my investigation, I discovered he tried strangling her. The murder attempt was the last thing I expected of this man, and truthfully, I wish I never found out.