Chapter 2

TW: language

Isaac was trying not to stare, honestly, but Scott's abs were really impressive. His head snapped away as Scott looked up in his direction. In his defense, Scott's abs were very much impressive. So much so that Isaac couldn't help sneaking a look whenever he could, which was often, because the Pack liked to go swimming a lot at the lake. They would all plan to cancel their day plans, just to spend a whole day at the beautiful lake. And they had their own special spot, curtesy of the Hales owning a lake house. A lake house that was in Malia's name basically. Not that they weren't allowed to be there, of course.

~~~

Surprisingly as it might be, sometimes the old Sour Wolf would tag along, even though he mostly hung back in the shade and glowered at Stiles, who forced him to come. A glower that would immediately disappear when his girlfriend Braedon decided to come rest beside him for the rest of her day. It was basically a routine now. Stiles drags Derek to the Lake, Braedon gets tired, and they spend the rest of the day in the shade, dozing off in the comfortable coolness. Malia sometimes swims, but mostly stays on her towel, next to Lydia, attempting to tan her skin, which is all but irresistible to the sun.

Isaac and Scott liked to play. While Stiles will try to coax Lydia in the water, Erica and Kira chat floating somewhere, and Peter attempts to talk to Malia, they'll splash each other with water, or will attempt to dunk the others head under. It's not like anybody invited Peter, he just had a pesky habit of showing up uninvited. Even though he showered her with gifts, and was willing to do anything for her, Malia had long since decided she did not want the Hale name. And that meant refusing to see Peter as her father, because truth be told, she didn't see him that way. She had a father, and his name was not Peter Hale. It was Henry Tate.

For the longest time, Malia didn't know who she was, or who she wanted to be. But it became clear on the night of her senior scribe. Malia Hale was a Tate through and through. Peter might be her father, but he is not her dad. Even though Malia didn't really interact with Peter, it didn't mean she didn't acknowledge Derek was her cousin. In fact, the two grew to get along. Their grumpy, pessimistic ways surprisingly didn't clash. They liked to brunch together and discuss protection plans and bond over their mutual distaste of Peter.

The only good thing Malia was grateful for about Peter was that he sometimes stuck around the apartment, so Theo wouldn't show up. As much as him and Theo pretty much had the same manipulating, killing Scott McCall story, Peter hated him. He was constantly trying to get in the Pack's good graces, claiming he was "sorry for backstabbing the Pack".

Really, the only Pack members that didn't mind him were Liam and Hayden. Despite Theo being responsible for Hayden's death, she'd grown to from hating to Theo to deciding he was "ok", though she still didn't trust him. The only reason he'd grown on her was because he was Liam's friend. Why the blue-eyed beta had decided he was trustworthy was a mystery to her, but she trusted Liam, and Liam trusted Theo, so the three became an inseparable trio.

~~

Isaac and Scott were prepping for battle. Deaton had warned Scott that it was a small coven of vehemence witches. (Witches that have magic based on their emotions.) The existence of witches was one Scott had kept from the Pack. He felt it was better that they weren't dragged into an even bigger supernatural mess than Were's and Kitsune's. Also because of the War. Witches and werewolves had been at war for centuries, ever since the creation of them by a spiteful witch. The witches had occasionally worked with human hunters to hunt certain Were's out of control. And of course there were the rumors of darker witch covens working with Were's.

The Big Three magics were Celestial, Mayhem, and Ignoble. But the Ignoble's were also the most ruthless and heartless. They drew their power from dark places. The Underworld, human life forces, negative emotions, you name it. And the darkest coven known, is rumored to receive their power from an ancient demon they worshipped. By sacrificing innocent's. Scott knew the Pack could handle a small coven, and especially a vehemence coven. They were known to be of the weaker Magic's, with their emotions unable to be controlled.

They were both changing when Isaac caught sight of those abs. Lately Scott had been giving him mixed signals. One day he was holding on for a couple seconds longer, and the next he was out all day without so much as a text. Isaac wasn't sure to make or not, especially considering his recent breakup with Kira. The Kitsune had had a change of feelings. Upon realizing she no longer had romantic or sexual feelings for Scott, she let him down easy, telling him she needed time to figure herself out.

Scott, of course, was devastated, but understood. While he was surprisingly composed, Isaac could tell he was lonely. But Isaac did not act on his budding feelings, instead keeping a friendly distance. He'd cheer up Scott whenever he could, and would often buy him pizza and arrange off-days. Days where they'd all relax and let off steam at the lake.

~~~

Scott finished up, pulling a jacket over his shoulders. Isaac put on his signature scarf, wrapping it around his neck as he avoided eye contact with Scott. Instead, he turned and began to tie the laces of his Vans. He was caught off guard and flinched when he felt a tap on his shoulder. He turned to meet Scott's brown eyes. "Cmon. We gotta go pick someone up." Issacs eyes narrowed and his eyebrows pushed upwards in confusion. "We gotta go pick up Mason and Corey. They actually managed to break Derek out." Isaac's eyes widened, then narrowed again at Scott, who stood there with his hands in his pockets and a sheepish look on his face.

What he'd failed to tell Malia was that sending them after Derek was just a diversion. Scott didn't want the younger adults anywhere near these witches. What he didn't count on was them actually being able to break Derek out, who was in jail because of a corrupt cop.Braedon was just driving on the way to the lake with Derek when they got pulled over.

Braedon, of course, got a smart mouth when the cop insisted on ID, and then pulled a gun when she began to reach for it. Derek proceeded to ask what they'd been stopped for, and the cop responded with "speeding." Braedon was going 5 mph below the speed limit.

Let's just say it didn't end well for the cop. He ended up knocked out on the ground, the arrested Derek for assault on a police officer. After the whole thing was explained to sheriff Stilinski , he immediately fired the deputy for taking advantage of the badge. He was even filling out all the legal stuff for Derek, and was supposed to be out in a few days.

Isaac followed Scott out of the bedroom and down the stairs to go outside for Scott's car. Isaac hopped in the passenger seat while Scott got in the drivers seat and put the keys in the ignition. He waited for Isaac to buckle up and then turned the key, and backed out of his driveway.

~~~

Derek, Corey, and Mason were waiting outside of the sheriffs station. Corey was waving. Scott shook his head. "Only Corey could break a dude out of jail and have a smile on his face." Isaac snorted at that. Scott pulled up to the curb as he rolled his window down. "You're telling me you managed to break in to a sheriffs station, break a prisoner out, and get out undetected?" Corey grinned some more. "Perks of being invisible I guess." He shrugged. Scott rolled his eyes. "Can you put him back?" Corey frowned. "What? Why?"

"Because...I didn't really want you to break him out, I just wanted you distracted." Masons eyes widened. "What?!" Scott sighed. "No time to explain." He looked at Derek. "You think you can suffer one more day in there?" Derek shrugged. "Been in there before." Scott nodded. "Ok. Put him back." Corey frowned deeply but said nothing as the three turned to walk back into the station.

~~~

Scott checked his watch for the millionth time, tapping his foot impatiently. "Cmon, cmon what are they doing?!" It'd been at least 20 minutes since the went in the station. It was beginning to get dark, and Scott was seriously stressing. He nearly jumped when Corey knocked on the window. "Hey, can you take us home?" Scott unlocked the back doors. "Again, as I said, no time. Hop in."

"Where are we going?" Mason asked as they both took their seats. Scott looked in the mirror. "You'll see."